PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Hello!
As the topic says, I am looking for information on how to store some of my tins properly. I am talking about the type of tins like W Ö Larsen's Vintage Mixture, where the tobacco is packed in plastic inside the box. Are these plastic packages safe, or should the tobacco be transferred to a mason jar or such for not drying out?
Thank you for any help regarding this

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
When transfering to mason jar; should one pack tight or losely ?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
There was some discussion of this in Bob's (Python) Tobacco Cellaring article a while back.
Prevailing wisdom recommends relatively loosely. This aids in the aging processes.
Here is one of Bob's comments from the article's comment section:

I pack my jars kind of tight, but I do leave some room at the top.

It is my understanding that tobacco does need some air in order to age.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Read the article 3wice- missed it. Thought I saw it the first time, that's why I went back and skimmed it......haste makes waste I suppose.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I have tried both loose and tight packing of mason jars and got mixed results. Certain tobaccos seem to respond well to being packed, others not so well. I used to practically make a G&H style crumble cake out of my Dunhill London Mixture. I did that to 3 mason jars...just stuffed them full and solid and left them for 2 years. The resulting London Mixture was so good it could make me weak. It was like smoking incense. I'm going to have to break down and start buying the Dunhills now that they are back out. I miss them so much. I do hope that the new blends are unchanged. I'm sure I will like them regardless, but I sure would like to have a bowl of the same Light Flake, London Mixture, Deluxe Navy Rolls, Night Cap etc. that I fell in love with so long ago.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Once opened the WO Larsen should be smoked or put in a mason jar . The bag inside the tin does not breath . Once you open it it can dry out though . If you plan to leave it out of the cellar put it in a ziplock bag and enjoy the tin until gone .

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Thank you all for the replies, I have now done the transfer to mason jars, tins saved though :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think Mason jars are the way to go for storing tobacco. Beware of plastic storage systems of any kind, including kitchen vacuum bags. At the molecular level plastics can be unpredictable: they can be completely impermeable to moisture, giving the impression of freshness, while perhaps freely passing substances like the volatile organic compounds that contribute to tobacco's goodness.
One zip-lock bag that I think is very effective looks like aluminized plastic, the PermaMoist Tobacco Bag sold by Iwan Ries @ 5 / $1.00

This is a nice way to go because you can divide a pound of bulk tobacco into 8 - 2oz. bags, and have a useful amount at the ready while the rest of the tobacco continues to age. This is a little more convenient than ½-pint Mason jars because the pouches are pocket-ready.

foil_tob.png

Status
Not open for further replies.