PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I have a couple 250g boxes of SG FVF on the way. I'm not necessarily trying to "age" these, but the reality is I only smoke a few bowls a week and have some 50g tins of SG FVF (along with a variety of other tobacco) I will use up first, so it may be a significant amount of time before I get to these.

Suggestions for storage?
Mylar bags? Is there a bag size that these boxes fit well in?

Wrap them with several layers of Saran wrap?
I'd rather not transfer them to jars at this point, but if that is the best approach, what size and how many jars would I need to store 2 250g boxes?
Appreciate your input.

Jun 9, 2018
England
The only Samuel Gawith boxes I've had any experience of (here in the UK) are the 250g plug ones, if I recall correctly they had a simple plastic type wrap round them that looked like it wouldn't do much in the way of stopping air getting in. I'm guessing the plug was in a plastic bag inside the box (it was about 18 months ago and I can't honestly remember) I'm sure someone on here will know the score.
As for storing the contents I used 5 millimeter mylar bags but as to size I've no idea as I cut the 250g block into 5 x 50g chunks and sealed them in the smallest bags they would fit in.
Chris

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I did transfer mine to some large jars because I don't currently have a sealer for mylar bags. That does seem like a pretty easy and safe option though if you have the equipment and supplies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I cut the flakes in half and and stack them in the squat jars. In my opinion, FVF is one of the best VA’s that ages extremely well, it really evolves as it ferments. When the flakes turn very dark, almost black (depending on age) it’s just freakin’ delicious. I like it fresh too but aged FVF is what really made me a believer that some VA’s truly do get better with age on them.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I cut the flakes in half and and stack them in the squat jars.

Spot on my Brother! Just did that with 1792 flake this week...
I do the same thing. Just picked up the two FVF 250g boxes from SPC and that's how it will be done. Let the aging begin.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Thanks! I kind of figured jarring would be the best approach. So how many pint jars would I need for a 250g box?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I guess I wouldn't know. I have never seen 250g of the same tobacco in one pile, it just sounds like a lot to my little two tins of each blend brain. The most I own of any one blend is 300g and it's all in separate tins, I seem to have trouble getting 100g into two jars, haha. I guess not with flakes though now that I think about it.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
Another thought is to put smaller amounts into jars or bags. I used to use half pint jars and put two to two and half ounces per jar.

Now I use smaller size mylar bags. I'd rather have small amounts open while the rest ages away.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Another thought is to put smaller amounts into jars or bags. I used to use half pint jars and put two to two and half ounces per jar.

Now I use smaller size mylar bags. I'd rather have small amounts open while the rest ages away.
^^^This!
I'm not wild about the long term prospects of cardboard and baggies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Those boxes are not designed for long-term storage. Like most of the other forum members in this thread, I just put my Samuel Gawith flakes in mason jars. While it would be nice to preserve the good looking packaging, I prefer knowing that my baccy is as safe as could be. I suppose mylar bags could be an option, as some others have mentioned, but I've never explored that possibility, as I'm perfectly happy with mason jars to accomplish the same goal of successful long-term storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.