PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
It only takes one bad apple...
After what was easily the best show in recent memory, a sad report surfaces from good buddy, Dennis Congos from the NY Pipe Show yesterday. Please keep your eyes open, which is good advice on many levels, but particularly for this pipe in case you happen to see it turn up anywhere. As large a community that we are, it is still a small close knit fellowship, so let's be diligent and try to help Dennis recover this stolen pipe.
From Dennis:

Hi,

This is a sad email and I need your help. I have attached a picture of a Charatan Selected that was stolen off my table at the 2016 NYC pipe show on Saturday, March 12, 2016. I am sending this email as an alert for my fellow ICCS members to watch to see if this pipe turns up anywhere. I have asked Rich Esserman to email those on his NYC Pipe Show mailing list in the hopes someone may have seen something or may spot the pipe in the future.

As a group, show attendees are honorable people. It only takes one to bring dishonor.

I thank you for any efforts you may exert in watching for this beautiful Selected. I know my hopes are slim but even a slim hope helps.

Best wishes to you................................

Dennis

Dennis Congos

120 Beech Street

Oviedo, FL 32765

407-359-4317

dcongos@mail.ucf.eduA
I hope this image comes through correctly (Lou):
Stolen%20Charatan_zpseptywesw.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Unfortunately, there is plenty of dishonorable activity in our hobby. Outright thievery is not frequently heard of, but I am not surprised that it happens at pipe shows. Pipes are very portable, often very valuable, and easy to liquidate. I hope Mr. Congos is able to recover his pipe, and I will do whatever I can to help.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
May the thief experience tongue bite forever. Seems to me I remember that same thing happening at a show last year. Sad story when someone will take advantage of others. I hope it turns up but even sadder is the reality that proving that was the pipe stolen is nearly impossible even if t did. Recovery is doubtful and prosecution improbable, a thief's dream.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I remember when it was a point of community pride that "your table was as safe as your house" at shows, and how upset people were when the first theft occurred.
Unless you have a strong stomach, don't ask me what I think should be done with all thieves, everywhere. :evil:
One-off Charatans are as unique as fingerprints. A scripted eBay search performed daily should catch it there, and trying to sell it off a table at a show should be impossible now that this thread exists.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
My commiserations for Mr. Congos. Thievery is vile. He may want to change the date on the above photograph, though.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
May the thief suffer the bites of a thousand crabs. And I don't mean sea creatures.
Actually, they'll do quite nicely if the right species is used: :twisted:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1857&bih=963&q=coconut+crab&oq=coconut+crab&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1541.6408.0.7633.12.10.0.2.2.0.57.509.10.10.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.12.513._Tt-aleq97A

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
That's too bad, I'll keep my eyes peeled for it on Ebay. Most of these punk ass thieves try to push it back out on the market via Ebay or some other online marketplace. Hope this gets resolved, as there is no room for this kind of behavior in our community.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It should be very easy to spot if it ever hits the market. It is a unique shape so if everyone keeps their eyes on ebay and some of the estate dealers we could catch it. Now if the guy stole it to keep, it is lost. I think every pipe show should have security cameras to maybe scare off potential thieves.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The whole thievery thing is a disease, but one with which it is extremely difficult to feel sympathy. One pathology is that the thieves, in some part of their fantasy, feel they are being given gifts by their victims, etc. blah-blah. The cruel cost of this particular theft, and similar ones, at pipe shows is that it could slowly kill the whole joy of the shows, which is the ability to view at close hand, and with permission, respectfully handle hundreds of pipes. This isn't going to happen if the klepto population shows up in force. Exhibitors will become paranoid and slightly hostile. They'll put out fewer pipes, and not the good ones, and snap at us hapless honest pipe smokers if we make any misinterpreted move, or have too many pockets or packages. Thieves, among other bad things, are killers of companionship and pleasure. Can you imagine settling back for a nice smoke with this stolen pipe? Or writing a glowing description of it for sale on ebay? Mr. Dork, the crabs be with you.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
A scandalous outrage.Thou shalt not steal,especially amongst our brethren. Like me,if they'd only asked, it may have been given.

Status
Not open for further replies.