PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Saw these blends today at SP and they sound decent. Its good to see some new bulk options. Have yet to try any of Eriks blends but have a tin of the Flake in the cellar.

Reactions: BROBS

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I'm smoking my 3rd or 4th bowl of the Evening Flake right now, and it's pretty good. Quite sweet and citrusy, nice and smooth. Certainly more to my liking than comparable bulk vaper flakes when they're fresh. Who makes this stuff? 1931 was MacB, but other 4th Generation blends were STG.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I'm smoking my 3rd or 4th bowl of the Evening Flake right now, and it's pretty good. Quite sweet and citrusy, nice and smooth. Certainly more to my liking than comparable bulk vaper flakes when they're fresh. Who makes this stuff? 1931 was MacB, but other 4th Generation blends were STG.
I am glad to hear that, I am going into it blind.
I have read it tastes a bit like PS Luxury Navy Flake mixed with PS Luxury Twist Flake.
Do you get any of that?

Don

Reactions: trubka2

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I am glad to hear that, I am going into it blind.
I have read it tastes a bit like PS Luxury Navy Flake mixed with PS Luxury Twist Flake.
Do you get any of that?

Don
Not really, but I'm no supertaster.:) To me, the closest thing would probably be Comoy's#4 or maybe Sillems Counselor.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Thank you @trubka2
I am not a supertaster either, too many years of cigarettes. :)

BUT,
I got in my order of Evening Flake and first bowl impression, is very favorable.
Visually, at first, it looks just like Luxury Navy Flake. Same bulk box, different sticker, same plastic bag inside holding 24 oz. of flakes. Moisture level is same as fresh PSLNF, aroma from the bag was noticeably stronger. A strong wave of Virginia and Perique with the signature PS scent.

First light of a bowl of bag scraps, broken down to ribbonish pieces was familiar. I quickly got a nice even char and it was smoking very easy right off the very first series of lights and tamps. I set the pipe down, as I sometimes do and came back to it 45 minutes later. WOW, intense flavors! My initial reaction is this is an amped up Navy Flake, better quality leaf, stronger and tastier Virginias and a higher percentage of Perique. If PSLNF was a 5 on the strength of flavor scale, Evening Flake is an easy 8 or 9, to me. All the enjoyable things I search for while smoking PSLNF, and I smoke more of it than any other blend, are crystal clear and quite intense in Evening Flake. This just may be my new favorite VaPer flake, highly recommended. But let's keep this just between us, eh?

:)

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Thank you @trubka2
I am not a supertaster either, too many years of cigarettes. :)

BUT,
I got in my order of Evening Flake and first bowl impression, is very favorable.
Visually, at first, it looks just like Luxury Navy Flake. Same bulk box, different sticker, same plastic bag inside holding 24 oz. of flakes. Moisture level is same as fresh PSLNF, aroma from the bag was noticeably stronger. A strong wave of Virginia and Perique with the signature PS scent.

First light of a bowl of bag scraps, broken down to ribbonish pieces was familiar. I quickly got a nice even char and it was smoking very easy right off the very first series of lights and tamps. I set the pipe down, as I sometimes do and came back to it 45 minutes later. WOW, intense flavors! My initial reaction is this is an amped up Navy Flake, better quality leaf, stronger and tastier Virginias and a higher percentage of Perique. If PSLNF was a 5 on the strength of flavor scale, Evening Flake is an easy 8 or 9, to me. All the enjoyable things I search for while smoking PSLNF, and I smoke more of it than any other blend, are crystal clear and quite intense in Evening Flake. This just may be my new favorite VaPer flake, highly recommended. But let's keep this just between us, eh?

:)
Nice, Don! Sounds like that 5 lbs was a good move. You should be buying scratch offs and lottery tickets with that kind of luck. I've smoked a few more bowls of it and have already ordered some more. It made me dig out my LNF stash. I didn't care much for it fresh when I put it away a little over a year ago, but now it's not bad. Definitely like the Evening Flake better, though.

Reactions: donjgiles

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
The sheer volume of product being introduced leads me to think these companies must have some sort of a strategy for navigating the deeming... hopefully.

I saw these blends and they do look good. I have some 1931 and it is good, and don't want to wade into another flake when I need to cellar more deeply on the ones I have.

Reactions: kg.legat0 and BROBS

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
The sheer volume of product being introduced leads me to think these companies must have some sort of a strategy for navigating the deeming... hopefully.

I saw these blends and they do look good. I have some 1931 and it is good, and don't want to wade into another flake when I need to cellar more deeply on the ones I have.

Don't be scared of wading into some more flake. Get those galoshes on and wade away!
***Edit - and we've all gotten a glimpse into your cellar now, you'll be fine ;)***

I hope you're right on the deeming. It seems like these outfits would be more hesitant to launch all of these new brands if they didn't have a plan for making sure that they stick around.

I'm pretty excited to try evening flake. I have 4oz on order. The description of the other ones didn't appeal to me as much...

Status
Not open for further replies.