Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake Dark Color Aged or Typical?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Last week I noticed quite a few people were taking advantage of the 20% off Stokkebye tobacco sale at SP and thought I would buy some LTF from my B&M last friday to sample. When he brought it up from the cellar it was very dark. The stock photos, do not look nearly as dark, they look like your standard VaPer flake, bright virginia with perique streaks. Do you think this might have some age or are they dark like this when received sometimes?

I really enjoyed it, what a nice lightly cased flavorful blend, earthy and not too sweet. I will have to post a picture later tonight, apologies.

I also decided to get 2 oz of each of these Stokkebye blends and woodsroad recommended Beacon extra. (The dunhill is just for hoarding purposes).

Peter Stokkebye: Luxury Twist Flake

Peter Stokkebye: Luxury Navy Flake

Peter Stokkebye: English Oriental Supreme

Peter Stokkebye: English Luxury

Peter Stokkebye: Cube Cut

McClelland: Beacon Extra 50g

Dunhill: Dark Flake 50g

kodos44

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2012
I have quite a bit cellared. It has darkened quite a bit with age. I've only tried the PS LTF and LNF but liked them enough to purchase some quantities to age a bit.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
LTF is one of my all time favorites and is great fresh or aged. LBF on the other hand I find a lot better after 3 years on it.
I love that coconut and vanilla taste of LTF. I think I smoke more LTF than anything else.
It's relatively dark to begin with but like the other PS flakes will darken with age.
The stuff you bought is it much darker than this?

005-005-0001.jpg

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Fitzy, way darker, like raisins or chocolate.. And oh so delicious. I will post a pic when I get home.

I should have pushed for an age date, any idea if Stokkebye marks dates on his boxes?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Without seeing pics based on your description I would say it's definitely aged a bit.
Based on the jars I have in my cellar I would say it's over 1 year as my 1 year jars aren't much darker but the 3 year old one's are.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Yeah that's very dark. I figure that must have quite a lot of aging in it. I'm curious how the topping has faded vs fresh.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
I am going to ask them when I go back, it was the last of the box. Stokkebye was there a few months ago, I wonder if he could have brought some aged blends possibly.

It is delicious..

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
It was in a 1.5 lb box in their cellar, I don't know if it was stored in some kind of humidor or not. As he was weighing it I mentioned that it looked extremely dark and he made no comment..

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I bet it's delicious. The answer is probably that the box was kept in the warm cellar and used as a chair by various employees who went down there and collapsed on it, pressing it with the weight of their angst.

Status
Not open for further replies.