PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
Seeing as how you can not buy Escudo in bulk (brought up in another thread)... Can anyone tell my how the Stokkeby Luxury Bullseye compares to it?

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
Luxury Bullseye contains Cavendish. It is much sweeter and much more mild than Escudo. Escudo also contains more perique. In my opinion....they don't resemble each other closely at all with the exception of both being a coin. That said, I enjoy both, but prefer Escudo by a wide margin. It is a more full body tobacco with much more complexity.
This is just one opinion obviously, I'm sure others will chime in.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I agree. Both are great, but they are both pretty different. I have 2 lbs of Luxury Bullseye jarred up and I usually buy Escudo when the 20% sales go on and currently have 20 or so tins in my cellar. In my opinion the prices of each are such that they can both be cellared.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I have read on these Forums that if you pop the Cavendish center out of the Luxury Bullseye Flake, and smoke the outer rings only, you get something that approximates either Escudo or Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls. I have not tried this.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Alternatives to Escudo are a matter of preference. I've read that some remove the cav in LBE to closer resemble the tinned elixir.

I've tried to end around with a more affordable bulk and after trying LBE, LNF, Mc's2015 and Newminster's SuperiorSlices,

I give the nod to Newmninster's.

The tin note is sort of like a rich deep smell of the barn after the hay has been in for a few months and you've just grained the cows prior to milking.

The flavor is superb in its own right and your vitamin N is plentiful. This is one of those you hate to admit is burned out.

tinpan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2013
Have you tried the McClelland 2015 bulk VA/Perique? It's one I smoke a lot. It's not in the coin shape but it is a pressed flake and you can buy it by the pound

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
11 tins of escudo are enroute at this time,and now that

we've spoken...I'll order 2lbs of the lbf also.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
+1 on liking them both - I've got a jar of each in rotation right now, with tins of Escudo aging and plans to buy more LBF as budget allows...

Mar 1, 2014
Don't forget to order Luxury Bulseye Flake 24oz at a time, then you get the original box that they're manufactured with and the flakes won't get handled as much (if that matters to you).

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I agree with most assessments. Escudo is more complex and contains considerable perique. Stokkeby Luxury Bullseye on the otherhand is considerable more sweet tasting of the two tobaccos due to the Cavendish. Escudo has been a favorite of mind for some years.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I hate paying tin prices as well, but Escudo has been a favorite since my first bowl, and I buy as many tins as I can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.