Stocking Up On Favorite Scotch & Irish Whiskey?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
While I'm mostly a peated Islay guy, when it comes to Irish, just about anything from Cooley floats my boat. I've nearly picked up some Bushmills several times, but always ended up with Tyrconnell or Connemara instead. Maybe I'll grab some Black Bush for St. Patty's.
Black Bush is far and away my favorite of the Bushmill's.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Perhaps there will be another occupant in the White House in the not-too-distant future. If so we might expect some of these tariffs to go away.
In the meantime if Scotch gets too pricey there are some excellent Scotch style whiskeys from Japan that are truly enjoyable.

until they come to their senses and regain their hard won independence, there shouldn't be any impact from Brexit
Opines an American. Ireland along with Netherlands enjoys the strongest support for remaining in the EU (80-90%).
Nevertheless it is accurate that whisky from the Republic of Ireland is not included in these tariffs.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Ran across a good find in a Bourbon recently for a song. Beam Distiller's Cut 'Limited Release'. This one is actually very nice and at 100 proof, holds up nicely to an ice cube or two. This limited edition offering was personally selected by Fred Noe, master Distiller. A real keeper.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Ok folks all in good nature (because I’d fully expect to be corrected if for example I called it a Star Splattered Banner) ☺

Its Scottish Whisky and Irish Whiskey and its Paddy’s Day not Patty’s Day (Patty is short for Patricia)

Of course it’s favourite not favorite but I have to let your variant slide since it’s a US website

Still friends ;) ?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Ok folks all in good nature (because I’d fully expect to be corrected if for example I called it a Star Splattered Banner) ☺

Its Scottish Whisky and Irish Whiskey and its Paddy’s Day not Patty’s Day (Patty is short for Patricia)

Of course it’s favourite not favorite but I have to let your variant slide since it’s a US website

Still friends ;) ?
Scotch* Whisky. Just saying. I agree with the rest, except the favorite part of course, being a no good rebellious ungrateful Yank and all ;)

Reactions: TinCup

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Scotch* Whisky. Just saying. I agree with the rest, except the favorite part of course, being a no good rebellious ungrateful Yank and all ;)

No one from Scotland in the history of forever has ever walked into a bar & ordered a Scotch (I think it was a name attributed to exports only) ☺

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
No one from Scotland in the history of forever has ever walked into a bar & ordered a Scotch (I think it was a name attributed to exports only) ☺
Yeah, no idea what is used colloquially, just going off the UK law (Scotch Whisky Regulations 2009). That and every book on the topic out there.

Just out of curiosity, do they refer to it as “Scottish Whisky” when they order it? I always imagined they would just call it Whisky.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Yeah, no idea what is used colloquially, just going off the UK law (Scotch Whisky Regulations 2009). That and every book on the topic out there.

Just out of curiosity, do they refer to it as “Scottish Whisky” when they order it? I always imagined they would just call it Whisky.

Yeah, just its just whisky (a bit like Chinese food is just called food in China) but it also has a bunch of nicknames round the country

edit: although if I order an Irish whiskey I'd use the brand name like Jameson etc to distinguish it from ordering whisky

Reactions: alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yeah, just its just whisky (a bit like Chinese food is just called food in China) but it also has a bunch of nicknames round the country
I figured. I’d hate for the poor bastards to do that here. They’d probably be served some horrifying Canadian swill from the well. Quite an unfortunate culture shock that would be.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I picked up a bottle of Laphroaig 10 and Springbank 10 yesterday, just in case of price increases......or blue skies, or rain, or gravity. I really wanted a bottle of Edradour but the shop I get my single malts at has been out since November. First time with Springbank, a really tasty whisky. Its like all the things I like about Islays, Speysides and Highland whiskys in one.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I picked up a bottle of Laphroaig 10 and Springbank 10 yesterday, just in case of price increases......or blue skies, or rain, or gravity. I really wanted a bottle of Edradour but the shop I get my single malts at has been out since November. First time with Springbank, a really tasty whisky. Its like all the things I like about Islays, Speysides and Highland whiskys in one.
Campbeltown malts (the few that still exist) are very good. I am a huge fan of Glen Scotia 15 and Victoriana. Love watching the unfiltered swirl when pouring Springbank as well :)

Reactions: lochinvar
Status
Not open for further replies.