Stocking Up On Favorite Scotch & Irish Whiskey?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
Anyone stocking up on their favorites because of projected increases due to tariffs? Estimates are doubling to tripling prices.
Yes. I bought bottles of my favorites when the tariffs went through. So far, prices seem to have remained where they were. I guess I am at least spoiled for variety ?

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Hope the price of Laphroaig and Ardbeg don’t shoot up too much, but, if they do, I will be fine sticking with bourbon or beer. On a positive note, wine prices are expected to drop over the next 3 years due to an excess of California grapes and a decrease in demand.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Yup, stocked up nicely. So far the prices haven’t seemed to be outrageous, but it’s coming I’m afraid. Seriously, if this the future ... it sucks.

If I’m doomed to eat tofu and do yoga instead of enjoying my pipe and a dram ... well, shit, I’m just not interested in living to a venerable age.

Stop the planet, I want off.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think I'm registered to vote on whiskeys, since I have one only about three times a year; however, I will say, when you drink so little of it, almost anything tastes like the elixir of the gods.

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I decided to just bend over the barrel for it. Whiskey is like tobacco, after enough time your "rotation" is a short list of favorites. Glenfiddich founders, Monkey shoulder, and Laphroaig 10 pretty much keep me afloat for across the pond whiskey.

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Hopefully the tariffs will be short lived. The U.K. will be interested in getting a trade deal done with the U.S. post-Brexit. With that said, my whisky cellar is far deeper than my tobacco cellar.

Reactions: aquadoc

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
I picked up a few bottles of Lagavulin 16 before the price from my source jumped from $69 to $92. And, if I see a deal I'll pick up a few bottles of something good. I snagged 3 bottles of Ardbeg Ten last week for $30/each and I have a source for Glendronach 12 at $40/each that should last a little longer. I don't expect prices to drop below pre-tariff prices if/when the tariffs are dropped. It's the new normal and the demand for whiskey remains high.

• Sad

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I bought some Ardmore Traditional Cask yesterday, but forgot about any increase because of taxes...hmmm Tariffs.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Anyone stocking up on their favorites because of projected increases due to tariffs? Estimates are doubling to tripling prices.

I was under the impression that it would affect single malt Scotch, but blended Scotch would be unaffected. And hadn't heard anything about Irish whiskey being affected. Has it changed?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My one suggestion: Get a good recipe for Irish coffee and enjoy that for St. Pat's. It's not something I'd want even once a week, but as a celebratory beverage, it's just right this time of year.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My Irish is from the Republic so, until they come to their senses and regain their hard won independence, there shouldn't be any impact from Brexit as they are only involved with regard to their border with the UK's Northern Ireland, which they try hard not to recognize.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A pretty good Irish whiskey aromatic blend is Erin Go Bragh in a pouch, as a footnote to the real distilled beverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.