PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
The recent post about seductive tobacco has me thinking about blends that lie on the other end of the spectrum.
I'd say the stinkiest blend I smoke regularly is Billy Budd, but I'm sure there are others out there that are way worse. Thoughts?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
When I’m in a pipe shop and a guy comes in smoking an English house blend, the aroma ain’t great. My wife made negative comments about some old Tilbury I have open. McClelland Bombay court takes the prize though in my experience.

Mike S.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I usually smoke alone or with a cigar smoker, so I've never heard any comments on the smell of the smoke. As for the lingering stale smoke that sticks around on clothes or whatever, I think it all smells generally the same.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
1792, aka, Dead Mouse in the House

Awesome! That was the first thing that leapt to mind. Well, the blend, not the mouse thing.
Gaslight smells a bit like a diaper fire, imo.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
My wife hated Haunted Bookshop, she said it smelled like “burning shit”, since I smoke in the house, that tin went in the trash. She has only vetoed maybe 4 or 5 blends in our 20 years together, so I count myself quite lucky.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The only blend to ever elicit a negative comment from my wife is MB HH Latakia Flake.
C&D Burley Flake #3 smelled like a bad batch of Velveeta when I popped the tin but smoked great.
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I smoke several of the blends mentioned as stinkers -- Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, Tabac-Manil Semois. The most persistent complaints from spouses and other bystanders has been about Latakia. I can smell the stable sweepings in packaged Semois, but not in the taste nor in the room note; it just smells like a burley to me. Many but not all aromatics get good reviews, like SWRA or Three Star Blue.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I tend to like them all, but St. Bruno has been described to me as having a smell of burnt newspaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.