Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I have a couple that screwed off.. and a couple that look permanent. The ones I couldn't take off I just learned to love. I can't tell much of a difference. They seem to cause a little tighter draw..

If I was going to remove them.. I'd use a big pair of wire cutters.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
If you remove a stinger from a production pipe that you like the looks of, does that ruin the pipe?
What do you mean by "ruin"? I suspect once you figure that out, you'll have the answer to your question.

Will it smoke better without the stinger? Almost certainly. There's a reason why modern pipes don't have them.

Will it lower the value of the pipe to remove the stinger? If it has to sawed off, and can't be screwed back on, I'd say it will.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
What do you mean by "ruin"? I suspect once you figure that out, you'll have the answer to your question.

Will it smoke better without the stinger? Almost certainly. There's a reason why modern pipes don't have them.

Will it lower the value of the pipe to remove the stinger? If it has to sawed off, and can't be screwed back on, I'd say it will.
Thanks. I guess I wasn’t thinking about exactly what ways it could be removed.

Reactions: ofafeather
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have never nor would I ever buy a pipe with a stinger. I want my shanks to be open to 4.0-4.5 mm in width. That is a total deal breaker for me if I don;t get that.
based on my observations,(this with pipes made in France)in case if they accept screw-in stringers(exception metal tube ) then the shank is pretty open 4,5-5mm which usually results in pretty turbulent, open draw if the said pipe is smoked without an inserted stringer, that's the reason why I avoid buying pipes with any stringers no more

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Hilson contracted Rainer Barbi to design some of their pipes for a top end elite line up. But, then they stuck stingers in them. It's like having Porsche engineers design a Ford for a new line, and then putting governors on all of them. puffy
Before they hired Rainer Barbi they actually made a Porsche model.

(Unfortunately, since the beginning of 2020 they are bankrupt).porshe-design-pipe.jpg

Reactions: ofafeather