PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Hey guys, some of the estate pipes that I bought have stingers on them, so should I leave them or is there a way to remove them. Thanks

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
If you plan on reselling the I would leave them. I have two pipes with stingers, a Kaywoodie and a Dr. Graybow. Neither are what I would call great smokers. They don't smoke hot, but both pipes gurgle something terrible! I left them in just to keep the pipes in their original condition, but because of that they rarely get smoked.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Forums standard response on this is, if you might ever resell the pipe, leave the stinger, or if it is removable,

remove it but keep it in a safe place labeled, so you can sell it with the pipe. Kaywoodies need the stinger to

screw the stem to the shank. My Kaywoodie has the stinger, unmodified, but does't gurgle. Who knows why?

I check pipes, if possible, to make sure they don't have a stinger. Some Parkers do, but I found one that doesn't.

My notion is that most stingers were developed as a sales feature when pipe marketing was highly competitive,

but they don't do much good and are no longer a selling point, in fact are a dis-incentive.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
I have an old Grabow that had a stinger. It was simply a push fit and after some wiggling and gentle pulling, it came out. I kept it, but I don't know why because I'll never sell the pipe and it's not worth much. To be honest, I've not noticed much difference with and without the stinger. The only advantage to having the stinger removed is that I can, if I wish, use a pipe cleaner during smoking when the stinger is out.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
If they're permanently attatched, smoke them and see what you think. If you absolutely can't stand it, there are ways of removing them (albeit permanently) while leaving the threads needed to attatch the stem to the shank. My Kaywoodie smokes well with the stinger. Also, as with 4-hole 'Woodie stingers and some others, the presence or style of a stinger can be a sign of something unique about the pipe, particularly its age. Do some research, and maybe talk to a forum "expert" on the brand, then whatever seems like a good idea probably will be one.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Thanks guys, I don't plan to sell the pipe, but I will probably leave them on just seems like less work.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
I personally do not like to smoke threw metal, so any pipe with a stinger is a no go to me. This is only my opinion and we all have them about everything.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My Mr. Brog has a stinger that I keep forgetting about until I go to clean it... One of these days, I need to do a comparative test with and without it to see if it makes any difference at all. It's a push fit, easy to remove, but once I do it will probably get lost.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
I have friends that have pipes with stingers, I know they smoke great and they love them. But I just prefer no metal.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I collect Kaywoodies, along with several other makes. The stingers do affect the draw a little and take a little more effort to clean. I don't really mind that. As a collector I want value for the money I put out, so condition matters. If the stinger has been compromised, the pipe is of no interest to me, simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.