PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
Do you suppose each stinger has a patent associated with it? It seems that each pipe maker features his own distinct stinger. Just wondering...

StringBEan

Might Stick Around
Jul 27, 2022
Alabama
What an interesting collection. I normally despise the damn things, but they definitely should have their place in history.

Reactions: Elric

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Urnex Cafiza cleaner is an awesome cleaner. Its used to backflush espresso machines. I use it on all sorts of metalic items that may come in contact with the mouth. Its found on Amazon and would work wonders. One teaspoon in a bowl of hot water with a 1 hour soak would yield positive results. If interested.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wonder if, like filters, stingers are far more popular in Europe. All U.S. pipe smokers seem to say -- if Forums is any indication -- is that they pull the stingers out and save them in a ziplock or throw them out. Somewhere there are non-pipe smokers who find these and rack their brains trying to figure out what they are and if they should be saved, like some missing part that goes with something else.

The only stinger I use is in one of the old Kaywoodie Drinkless pipes that has the screw-in stem and attached stinger; now the Drinkless series has gone to push bits. But the stingers still live on. Somewhere, they must be left in place for smoking. Where might that be? Who might that be?

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
In my hobby of restoring/rejuvenating pipes, I encounter many examples of pipes where the stinger has never been removed, eventually resulting in a badly clogged stem. The pipe may be in overall good condition, however it seems the owner simply gave up on it.

In hindsight I sorta wish that I had labeled these stingers so I would know which type goes with which pipe brand.