Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
My Kaywoodie stinger was cut off and the reason is because of what you discribe. It didn't help. Fortunately, the stem can be removed during use to blow out the mosture.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
A stinger's primary purpose is to act as a point for humidity in the smoke to condense on before it enters the stem. An unfortunate side effect of a working stinger is that the shank can get pretty swampy which in turn causes unburnable dottle at the heel. There are so many variables that play into how much moisture accumulates, relative humidity of where you are smoking, moisture level of tobacco, breath humidity backflow.. It's too bad Kaywoodie didn't make their stingers easily removeable like the old Ajustomatic Grabows.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My Drinkless has posed no dottle problems, about like most briar pipes, sometimes a little, but not any sort of problem. If the airway is clear and the stinger is clean, I'd look at the blend and the cut, and maybe dry the tobacco out a little more. It may not be the pipe.

And yes, "Stinger and Dottle, partners in law enforcement who never met a crook they couldn't bust, friends to the citizenry, peril to the criminals."

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The title of this thread reminds me of the name for both a cop buddy TV show and a pub.

Can’t help you with the stinger issue, haven’t experienced that with my Kaywoodies.

Maybe dry your tobacco a bit more.
sounds more like a bad comedy duo that works at resorts.
Oh and if the gimmick was pleasing you'd still find more new pipes with stingers.