PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob1

Lurker
Dec 15, 2011
I'm with Marc and OTD.

I love vintage estate pipes not only for the reasonable cost,

but also for all the places they've been and for all the stories they could tell if they could.
Here's to a life well lived!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Bubba and Wallbright, believe me, you can't go wrong with a Peterson. As for stingers, I once bought a pipe that had a stinger--it wasn't advertised as having one--and I tried it. A worthless addition to the pipe, and I tossed it out. As for the pipe, it was so cheap I couldn't even sell it on eBay. Stay away from them, and good luck to you.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I always give a pipe with a stinger a fair chance but so far, I've removed them after the first smoke. Not a fan of stingers.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I used to yank them out or cut them off with a hack saw on the ones I had in the odd briar pipe. They exist in the victorians I smoke but are made from a duck quill which sort of works and I tend to leave them and the amber stems well alone!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The last stinger in a new pipe was in a BC, and it pulled right out. I don't find they help, and sometimes

they clog or impede the draw. Of course, with a Kaywoodie drinkless, I'm stuck with the stinger that also

screws the stem to the shank; be advised Kaywoodie makes good, new pipes that don't have this feature,

the Saxon among others with a push bit. I kept the stinger out of my BC, in case I wanted to sell the pipe

later, but that possibility is remote. It's a great blast billiard up-market pipe bought on sale, new at an estate

price.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Referencing haja's last post, I wonder if there are add-on stingers for people who find them helpful. It's difficult

to determine, sometimes, whether a pipe has a stinger or not. For example, with Parkers it is a gamble -- some

do, most don't. I was surprised to find one in a Chacom, but it was easily removable. I've never noticed much

filtering action from the stingers I've used, but if it helps you, it helps you.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
That's really creative! Looks like it would be a pain to clean, but if they're cheap you could just toss it when it fouls and insert a new one.

groovesmith75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2014
either pull it out or i used a hacksaw blade just past the threads worked great on every pipe. Tried keeping them but they gurggled and then you cant get a pipe cleaner down all the way.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm a stinger fan. I occasionally have to use alcohol and a dental pick to keep them clean but that's just part of pipe maintenance. They are also useful in fixing a date to a pipe sometimes by identifying the shape. Since collecting is half the fun for me I leave the stingers in. I have had no problems with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.