PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebag

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2013
One of my newer pipes has a stinger in it and I was just wondering what everyone else does to clean it out. I've been using the extra thin pipe cleaners, but they don't always seem to get everything out of it after a smoke or what not. Is this natural or is there other ways to do it? I saw a quick soak in alcohol to get the gunk out of the stinger and then let it sit over night. Is there any other ways that I haven't read about yet or is that pretty much the two different methods people will both suggest?

ebag

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2013
In my defense the stinger is easily removable by hand. I'm just wondering in case I prefer the smoke with the stinger in on this particular pipe.
Each their own, aye?

Reactions: Papamique

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
I have two options for you...one as stated above get rid of it.

the second is remove the stinger for cleaning and give it a good wipe down with a handkerchief then hit the stem with a pipe cleaner while it's out. I personally throw mine out. but I used to have one pipe I kept it in and the handkerchief method worked well enough

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I don't know what brand pipe you have, but I have a couple of Kaywoodies with stingers and I simply pass a thin cleaner or two through them after every smoke. I also pass a pipe cleaner through the holes in the ball after every smoke as well. Finally, I do a good wipe down with a tissue on the outside of the stinger and the threads. I don't bother to try and get every bit of gunk out every time; I save that effort for my monthly cleaning with Everclear. That works for me.

pilgrim

Lurker
Jan 22, 2015
hey fellas; tell me this; are those stingers designed to be screwed in and out on a regular basis? thanks

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
pilgrim I am very jealous of your avatar. I am a life long Donald Duck fan!

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
My Jeantet Comfort pipe has a screwed stinger. When I do clean it I do screwed out.

Put in alcohol(71%) about an hour and wash with water throughly.

After dry just screwed in.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When I used them, just gave them a quick rinse in Everclear or moonshine. All that stem removal just caused too much wear and tear on the tenon, so I just took the stingers out.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Cleaning a pipe is part of the total experience for me. Some of my pipes I have removed the stinger, but a couple seem to smoke better with it. Those that have remained get removed and cleaned with a paper towel and pipe cleaner and reassembled after each smoke. They never get a chance to build up gunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.