PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Stillwell Navy No. 1056

Pre-light:
The cigar has a very nice, deep earthy cedar and cocoa scent, with the faintest hint of smoky Latakia lurking in the background.

Pre-light draw:
Pastrami? Very interesting.

First Light:
There is an initial blast of sweet chocolate, then the flavor mellows a bit to buttered toast, and then a very slight Latakia smokiness on the finish.

First Third:
Making it through the first third, the predominant flavor is a sweet, creamy, mild earthiness. Kind of like Nicaraguan coffee with cream. There is perfect balance between the cigar taste and the pipe tobacco taste, where you can find either one if you search for them. It’s almost like smoking a pipe in one hand and a cigar in the other.

Halfway through the cigar, the flavors completely meld together and intensify, and then the overall flavor becomes “rich natural tobacco.”

There are very few flavor changes going to the end of the cigar from here, which worked fine for me because I loved everything I was tasting.

Conclusion:

This is not a cigar where you sit and think, “I’m tasting Latakia,” or “I’m tasting pipe tobacco!”

This is a cigar that makes you think, “I don’t know what’s in this cigar, but it’s good!” The pipe tobaccos are not the star. They are a very subtle supporting note that never disappear, but never jump out front.

To put it another way, this cigar tastes like a cigar. There isn’t a moment during the entire smoke where you think, “This gimmick is working!” There are no gimmicks with this cigar. The pipe tobaccos used are so complimentary that I can hardly believe it.

This is a fantastic cigar!

I have had very few cigars that have been able to provide such flavor at such intense levels without becoming overbearing or harsh. This cigar is rich, flavorful, and creamy from first light to last puff, and the halfway boost of flavor intensity really makes for a pleasant and dynamic smoke.

The taste is completely unique, which justifies the use of the pipe tobaccos.

If you are a cigar lover, you’re going to really enjoy the unique nuances the pipe tobacco brings to this cigar. If you are a pipe tobacco lover, you’re going to enjoy the extra fullness and intensity the excellent cigar leaf brings to your smoking experience.

I’d say Jeremy Reeves and Steve Saka perfectly accomplished the goal they set out for in this project. I am very excited to try the other three cigars in this line!

An unimportant but noteworthy addition: the room note is amazing! It’s almost like the smell of gingerbread in the oven.
607AC10B-37B4-4DDF-805C-F42B1A50BEE7.jpeg