"Stick Tobacco", Australia Duty

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

If I understand the rates correctly, loose leaf (or cigarettes) tobacco duty is almost AU$1,580 per kg. But a thing called "stick tobacco" is just over a dollar per stick not exceeding 0.8gr (each stick). What's "stick tobacco"? I wonder if an enterprising niche blender can come up with 0.8gr sticks (0.02oz) of, say, Plum Pudding?
Ah, my maths isn't very good. That's the same rate as other tobacco (except cigars, which our tax-mad legislators smoke themselves and have hence exempted from duty).

Reactions: JOHN72 and timelord

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Used to be you could get tobacco sticks in Canada. They were essentially tailor made non filter sticks rolled in a paper which was very thin and porous such that you couldn't smoke them without first injecting them into a tube. They were superior to ryo because they were packed perfectly and took less time to inject. It was a loophole which has been filled in this country, so you don't see it anymore.

Used to be you could get tobacco sticks in Canada. They were essentially tailor made non filter sticks rolled in a paper which was very thin and porous such that you couldn't smoke them without first injecting them into a tube. They were superior to ryo because they were packed perfectly and took less time to inject. It was a loophole which has been filled in this country, so you don't see it anymore.
Thankyou for contributing to my ongoing tobacco education, rajangan ?

RaoulDuke

Lurker
Apr 25, 2020
Australia
I think you may have misunderstood something there mate.

Cigars, chewing tobacco and snuff are charged at $1576.57 plus gst but you don’t need a permit (up to 1.5kg).

Pipe tobacco, cigarettes, ryo require you to have an import permit and you can’t import them through the mail.

Reactions: Pastor Richard
I think you may have misunderstood something there mate.

Cigars, chewing tobacco and snuff are charged at $1576.57 plus gst but you don’t need a permit (up to 1.5kg).

Pipe tobacco, cigarettes, ryo require you to have an import permit.

Sorry, I misunderstand lots of things ? Whatever, it's academic for me, I don't smoke cigars. I have just applied for a personal import permit from Home Affairs, so that I can save up for anything which I can't buy from Tobacco Blends or My Humidor here (like Seattle Pipe Club Bourbon-aged Plum Pudding, yum).

Jun 17, 2021
Australia
'. I have just applied for a personal import permit from Home Affairs, so that I can save up for anything which I can't buy from Tobacco Blends or My Humidor here (like Seattle Pipe Club Bourbon-aged Plum Pudding, yum).
Hey Pastor Richard - Any word back on the progress of your application? I'm super keen to hear how you go and what was involved in applying!
?:sher:

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Hey Pastor Richard - Any word back on the progress of your application? I'm super keen to hear how you go and what was involved in applying!
?:sher:
This is the form https://www.abf.gov.au/form-listing/forms/1537.pdf
No word yet from Home Affairs. I submitted the form a few months ago.
And I notice “rum” on yr sig line ? We’re up on the Tablelands on leave at the mo. Mt Uncle Distillery between Mareeba and Atherton has a scrumptious brown rum, “Iridium”. Dan Murphys often has it a little cheaper than the Distillery Cellar Door.

Jun 17, 2021
Australia
This is the form https://www.abf.gov.au/form-listing/forms/1537.pdf
No word yet from Home Affairs. I submitted the form a few months ago.
And I notice “rum” on yr sig line ? We’re up on the Tablelands on leave at the mo. Mt Uncle Distillery between Mareeba and Atherton has a scrumptious brown rum, “Iridium”. Dan Murphys often has it a little cheaper than the Distillery Cellar Door.
Thanks mate, keep us informed if you hear anything on progress, PM if you prefer.

Ahh, Mt Uncle - I visited their cellar door a bit over 10 years ago, along with a bunch of others while driving around up on the tablelands. I'll definitely be putting an order in for a couple of bottles for the cellar!

Another Australian rum I rated from northern regions (WA), and currently have in my cellar is from the Hoochery Distillary - Ord River Rum - https://www.danmurphys.com.au/produ...llery-ord-river-premium-small-batch-rum-750ml - I give it 5 big glasses of tasty golden goodness ? ? ? ? ? ?

Browny

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2022
Great Southern Land
The trail went cold.
Any news on this permit acquisition as yet?

It looks like it could be useful for all the yummy things we can't get down here, but what is the full process and likely hood of actually getting this permit?, once they have your details your marked for life so this really is tread with caution territory.