daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
I start with the background story; in Iceland we have only three pipe tobaccos:

- Special Dublin

- Half & half

- Skandinavik mixture

Before MacBaren Scottish mixture was instead of Skandinavik which is... At least it has a taste. Today I was at downtown and I forgot to take tobacco with me. So I stopped at the tobacco store and bought a pack of Skandinavik mixture as this is the only one from the local product range I haven't tried. I opened the pack and it had almost no smell. I packed my pipe and started to smoke. If I didn't see the smoke I would think that it is not even burning. It had absolutely no taste! After I arrived home in the evening I gave it another try in another pipe but the result is the same. It burns quite fast and it leaves only some weak taste of virginia with a touch of chemicals. Has any of you tried it? Maybe it is only me but I have never experienced so tasteless tobacco like this.

• Sad
Reactions: 3rdguy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That is an ultra spare selection. I don't think it would hold my interest for long. Maybe you could cultivate some people who travel who could bring back at least a few alternative blends for you. I don't mind Half & Half, but it's not a favorite, a little harsh.

Reactions: daniel7

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
The first pipe tobacco I tried in my clay pipe when a fellow pipe smoker I met outside the pub let me have a pipeful.
Other pipe tobaccos I've tried this way include:
Scottish Blend
MacBaren Vanilla Cream
St Bruno
Virginia Flake
Mellow Virginia

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
In the 1970s, the Skandinavik blends were much higher quality than they are today. The PG level was very low. In fact, there barely was any in the Regular, which I preferred to the Aromatic version. I don't recall any chemical notes either. I do remember the Regular had little topping as opposed to today, and freight train puffing could result in a little tongue nip. I smoked it until I tried Amphora Original, which the Regular was created to compete with.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This suggests how when competition is reduced, the quality of products goes way down. In an open market, the bum products just collect dust. Part of the problem may be that all the selection is stale since people don't buy much.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I tried Skandinavik Mixture, Sungold and Navy.
The Mixture didn't pass my expectations, not to mention the vanilla-wannabe Sungold.
The last one, once added a generous amount of Perique, is not that bad, it reminds me of Captain Black Original (white).

Status
Not open for further replies.