PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Stew belongs right up there with beer, man-caves, twice-gun barrels and pickup trucks.
Add a good Brunswick stew to that list.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
What, pray tell, is a contrived politically correct variant on a stew. Stew is stew. Tofu steamed in lettuce droppings can't be stew, can it? Years ago my best friend, whose father was a butcher, developed a stomach ailment and he had to become a vegetarian. I've always pitied him. Now I find myself in the same position. It sucks.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Gotta have corn bread with mine and I'm not talking about Jiffy-mix corn bread either! That stuff should be called cake.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Moose, I like venison but it can't hold a candle to moose meat

Of moose, elk, deer or antelope I find moose the best. Don't get me wrong, an elk prime rib grilled rare is heaven, but moose is just a bit better. I recently made 10 lbs. of moose bierwurst and folks were stunned when munching on it. They kept asking in disbelief "This is moose???". I still hunt all of them and enjoy them all.
[/quote] twice-gun barrels
Got me one of them "twice-gun barrels" from my uncle, an old Stevens 311 20 gauge that points so fast the rabbits don't have a chance.
As far as stew goes I always bring the meat to a boil for a few minutes in salted water and then pitch the water and rinse off the meat. Gets rid of the scum and some of the off flavors.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I feel for anyone who has to become a vegetarian due to health reasons; I am too much of a dyed-in-the-wool carnivore not to sympathize deeply. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people who are vegetarians or vegans by choice. I just think that having your dietary choices dictated to you because of health reasons would really stink.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Never had lamb stew but I like lamb on the grill.
In the winter I like a good beef shank, slow cooked on the stove.

Jun 4, 2014
Love a good stew, one of my favorite is chicken pot pie. This is a hearty chicken stew with carrots, onion, celery, potatoes and thick homemade noodles. If you don't have chicken its great with squirrel meat or better yet a nice young ground hog.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
What, pray tell, is a contrived politically correct variant on a stew. Stew is stew. Tofu steamed in lettuce droppings can't be stew, can it? Years ago my best friend, whose father was a butcher, developed a stomach ailment and he had to become a vegetarian. I've always pitied him. Now I find myself in the same position. It sucks.
Greg, vegetarianism was the farthest thing from my mind when I typed that. I can imagine that any medical ailment sucks, let alone one that forced unwelcome dietary changes. I was referring, jokingly, to the simplicity of my lovely wife's humble stew relative to what I'm certain are many fancier recipes, with fancier ingredients, for more sophisticated stews. I was appreciating that simplicity, and her overall efforts in that regard. It's unfortunate my innocent thread struck a sour note.
That said, if you're looking for an apology, or a feel-good moment, you've got the wrong man. Don't be so sensitive. It ill suits a man. Leave that to Those Who Are Perpetually Offended. In other words, the politically correct. Sucks that you can't eat meat. It really does. Don't begrudge those who can from talking about their wives' stews. It makes you seem small.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Sheesh, Perique! I had no idea that my delicate little feelings should be hurt. Stew is manly, it's thick, it has meat in it, it requires teeth or it's some health nut's poser dish trying to pretend to be something it has no chance of ever entering into the glory of. My comment was a feeble attempt to mock the very persons that you are apparently accusing me of being. Give me a (stew) that consists of a chilled puree of seasonal vegetables in a two ounce dish, tastefully decorated with a smear of beet concentrate, decorated with three sprigs of chive, two of endive and a dollop of creme fraiche and I'll be inclined to throw it back at you.
Until recently my wife and I made huge pots of thick, yummy stew with lots of every kind of meat you can imagine. WE loved the stuff. We still do. I don't resent that you can still eat it, I just wish that I could. Where is the sour note? I wasn't looking for a fight. It didn't even occur to me that there were grounds for a fight. Simply sharing my heartfelt appreciation for stew in all it's glorious manifestations. OK, I can't eat it any more, that's too bad but hardly your fault and I certainly don's begrudge your eating, talking about or even creating works of art in homage to your favorite stews.
You are right in that I look for no apology and certainly don't expect a Kum-by-Yah monent with you. I certainly hope that I haven't inadvertently stumbled onto one of those overly sensitive little guys who are get all politically correct on others. You are't like that, are you?
Meanwhile, latch onto some of your wife's stew, relish it and don't mind me sitting in the corner sipping my pured cream of garlic scape soup. Some meat would be nice. Even a hot dog. But I'm used to the adjustments I've had to make. No resentment here, one does what one must to stay alive, but I do enjoy hearing about what others are able to eat and live out my fantasies through them.
My opinion, someone got the wrong end of the stick. Make sure you wash your hands well before diving into that pot of stew.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Love a good stew for sure...beef, any wild game...as long as it's thick and meaty I'm good to go. I like to make mine with Guinness so it's dark and rich. Fresh bread or buns and we're talking straight up gluttony here!! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.