PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I am sitting in the kitchen with Mrs Perique, smoking a bowl. She is diligently cooking venison stew. I mean STEW now, fellas, not some contrived politically correct variant. Venison. Bone broth. Fresh picked carrots. Potatoes. Old school thick succulent stew. The kind that'll make you wanna slap your mamma. It's 90 degrees in the kitchen. And I don't care.
Who likes a good stew?

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I love a good stew... but more in the winter when you fog up the windows as you cook it. Lamb stew... nothing better.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
That sounds damn good Perique. I've had venison plenty of times but never a venison stew.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
fmgee, we raise sheep. And if there's one thing I love, it's lamb. Lamb burgers. Kabob. Stew. You name it. I'm all in.
We process our own. And I can tell you venison is a heck of a lot easier than lamb...
And yes: winter stew is definitely best. Miss P slow cooks it in cast iron over our wood stove. Unfortunately, we ran out of store food and had to break into the venison. In July :eek: !!.....

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Man, who don't love a good stew? Ox tail stew, so thick it's almost like a gravy, the marrow from those bones cooking in...MMMMMMMM!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Absolutely love stew, and I make a very large batch every winter combined with German Spaetzle (as if the potatoes weren't enough!). But, like I said I only make it in the winter, albeit I'd scarf up a bowl of it right now in a New York minute! Hey... it's one of those special things that makes me look forward to winter considering that I hate winter with every fiber of my being.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I agree, stew anytime good........stew in WINTER?..........the Best!!

I cook mine atop the woodburner in an old Griswold dutch oven..... Gotta have home made biscuits too......... :worship:

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I challenge all of you. Break the mold. Three sheets to the wind. Make SUMMER stew. Go on. Live a little. You can do Whatever You Want!!
It's like the proverbial Christmas in July.
(can I still say "Christmas"?)

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
When my kids were young we always did a full Thanksgiving dinner in the summertime...... It was great, turkey was cheap at that time of year, no stress, no travel, no worries about pleasing everyone etc....... Just us and one big meal out on the porch--- great times, now that I think back on it!!.......... :puffy:

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Our family spent 2 weeks in Italy and one of the favorite recipes was pasta with boar sauce. Last night I prepared a resemblance of the same dish, wrong noodles, with rave results. Ragu, deep sauces and stews are the best!

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Hang on... Christmas is meant to be hot! At least that is what I think. I am still not used to this cold weather thing and I have been here for close to 10 years.
Perique: I grew up surrounded by over 5000 breeding ewes. If I did not love lamb I might have starved.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Pretty much any slow cooked cut of meat with bone in will deliver what we consider to be tasty flavor. For those of us who don't have venison, or just want to get some meat from the supermarket, a chuck roast, lamb shoulder, whole chicken have never failed. Too hot to cook a stew? Use the crock pot.

Another favorite is bone in pork shoulder or butt slow cooked with sauerkraut then put on top of mashed potatoes..

I just thought of that one show of Anthony Bourdain's where he was in Ethiopia eating in the bush with the natives. They made a fire in the ground and cooked entrails in the fire with no pan or pot..then dug it out and served it. They hadn't cleaned the entrails at all. It was the first time I ever saw him say something tasted like shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.