PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I'm an avid reader but rarely do I read a book more than once. That said, I am now on my fourth reading of 11/22/63. For some reason every time I read this thing I realize something new or unique that I hadn't considered. For whatever reason, this book fascinates me, and not because I'm a history teacher. I think it's just the cool way King conceptualizes time travel. Anyone else a fan of this book?
I just found this on the Internet--I'm looking forward to how they depict this book on the small screen!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2879552/

Jan 8, 2013
I have a buddy that is in that show. He's a reporter.... with no dialogue lol. But he's very excited about it because this was the last stand in no dialogue he had to do before he can join the screen actors guild and try for better opportunities.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I liked the book a lot. I hope they do a good job with the miniseries. Under The Dome was also made into a tv series and it strayed quite a bit from the book, but was still enjoyable.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I thought it was an incredible read, and the fact that it featured a pipe smoker was an added bonus!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Great book, Had some issues with propaganda, but Stephen King can spin a yarn. America's greatest living author. IMHO

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I have a problem with Stephen King. I've read 2 or 3 of his books (about 15 years ago, I can't even remember which), and I'd invariably get hooked and enjoy it immensely. UNTIL. It turns out in the end that the killer was a giant worm from outer space, or some ghost that had never before been mentioned. It's not the twist ending per se, it's the ludicrous deus ex machina. To me, that felt like cheating. So I stopped reading him.
But you've picked my curiosity (plus: time travel AND pipe smoking!). Does 11/22/63 have this sort of "twist" ending?

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
I love Stephen King's books I have read them all. I also hope that it does not stay far from the novel. Stephen King said from the very beginning that the Dome was not going to follow the novel.

@echie You should try Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
Really quite enjoyed that one; another fun JFK assassination nove is Stephen Hunter's The Third Bullet. The ballistics are vastly more credible than the plot, but as a fun examination of the technical holes in the various conspiracy theories by a writer who also knows guns, it's an interesting read.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! Let's see if I can overcome my Stephen King prejudice :)
(Sorry to hijack the thread :P)

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Incidentally: I've read the book over my latest holidays, and it's indeed quite good! Thanks everyone for the recommendation, and specifically ssjones for making me not fear the ending, and all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.