PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Druffy42

Lurker
Mar 24, 2020
Greetings fellow pipe enthusiasts, any suggestions on where I can find replacement stems for an unfiltered crown brand pipe with an 8mm (5/16") shaft? Trying to find stems online is maddening. I've ordered from two different places and they don't fit. Previous mouthpiece was good for years and I snapped it tapping out on my shoe.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Tapping a pipe on anything is a bad habit IMO.
A metal pipe like a Falcon might probably be okay but if one keeps tapping a briar pipe, sooner or later many will crack or break.

It's not usually an efficient way to clean out a bowl anyway as there's usually dottle clinging on after a tap.
Get yourself half-a-dozen Czech pipe tools. They're really cheap.

I've got dozens of pipe tools and rather like antique ones like this lot that I won on ebay for $9.50.

5 x pipe tool 1 x reamer $9.50usd.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Typically I hold on to the shank and tap on the heel of my hand. I'm not sure, but I doubt that will break the stummel. If you hold on to the stem and do that, I guess there is a chance the tenon will break after a lengthy period.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Seems unlikely that you'd find a suitable replacement buying generic stems. Like @scloyd did, you can have a new stem custom made by certain artisans or repairmen. Reach out to a few people- someone will be up to the task.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and dcon

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Walker Pipe Repair is a long trusted source for stem work, as is Briarville, and for exceptionally fine work on stems there's Cook's Fine Pipeworks, just to name a few.
I never tap out a pipe against anything hard, but then again, I own some really nice pieces. When tapping I'm holding the pipe by the heel of the bowl, not the shank or stem. I like my pipes to be in good shape and I like them to last.