PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I have an estate that i love. Its attractive, smokes like a champ, and has a sterling band. It tastes ok while smoking, but has more than an eighth of an inch of Cake built up. I tried to break it down for a thorough cleaning, but the stem is stuck. I tried to force one last week and broke it. Luckily that was a pipe i didn't care to much for. So for fear of ruining my pipe i ha just been running a pipe cleaner through it after i finish a bowl. Is it worth it to take a chance on breaking the stem off in the shaft? Is there a trick to safely removing a seemingly cemented stem? Thanks!

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
leaving a pipe in the hot car for a few days seems to loosen my stems up pretty good.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Put it in the freezer for about an hour then turn it to the left, should work.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
OK I'm slow but that's where I was going, so I'll say it anyway...put it in the freezer for awhile then try unscrewing it...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Try freezing the pipe and trying to remove the stem. Different materials change shape at different rates.

That just might loosen it up a bit (no pun intended).

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I don't see the hot car method working, heat causes expansion in stems. these other guys have the right idea. If it won't budge don't force it, because it will probably break. You never know it might be cemented in the shank. People do wierd things to pipes.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
Have you tried sticking it in the freezer? :lol: Maybe a pipe cleaner soaked in alcohol left in the shank/stem?

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
This method takes a little longer but it does work,,,dip a pipe cleaner in some everclear and let it drip in the crack between the stem and shank turning the pipe as you do it. Let it rest for a few minutes then do it again. Try twisting the stem after each applications, it should come loose by the 3rd or 4th time.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Dd951, I know this is an ancient thread, but your method just worked on an old gourd calabash i just go in the mail from fleabay.. Thank you, I wish I would have read this before destroying a pre-republic Pete that I bought with a stuck stem.. Thank you, if you ever see this!!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Just be careful, bluegrasspipe, as everclear will dilute or remove most finishes (that may not matter to you, but just thought I'd add that)!

Status
Not open for further replies.