PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
The stem on my pipes fell like they are sticking when placed back. I was looking for suggestions on how to prevent the stem from sticking. Thanks for the help

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I sometimes use "cork grease" or a vegetable based lubricant. It's basically the same thing clarinet players use to keep the joints of their instruments from sticking. I wonder if a light coating of olive oil might work as well.

I've heard some people use chapstick.

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
Ok to clarify. Cleaned the pipe and let dry. When I tried to put the stem back in it was hard to turn in a circular motion. I know not to force it or push it. I was using the rotation method. One of the other estate pipes stem broke which I will send off for repair. I am a little hesitant to try and put the other stem at this time. I was hoping all you guys here can help me fix this.
Thanks Oldmannk

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I have had the same problem! I find (if the tenon can be removed) beeswax is the best lubricant. It was recommended it to me and I like to recommend it to others with appears to have had good results!
On a similar note, it works fantastically for tight stems and also works great on loose stems as it adds another layer to the tenon. Hope this helps!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Stick the pipe in the freezer for a good 8 hours or so before removing the stem, the cold makes the stem shrink in siize, and then lubricate it so you don't have this problem.

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
I have an old Grabow that sticks, I will try the beeswax. Sounds like a great idea.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
If the stem has been seperated from the shank for a lond time period atmosphere/environment issues might be the culprit, as may moisture from the recent cleaning. You may need to wait a few days for the briar and stem to get back to "normal" before assembling the pipe. As suggested, when you do put it back together a bit if beeswax on hone tenon may be a help.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
Any suggestions on a stem that is too loose? I have a St. James estate pipe that the stem just barely stays on. With any pulling it comes off. It is a nice pipe so I would like to fix it if possible.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Any suggestions on a stem that is too loose? I have a St. James estate pipe that the stem just barely stays on. With any pulling it comes off. It is a nice pipe so I would like to fix it if possible.
I have heard that bar soap smeared on the tenon will help tighten it up

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
On the too loose subject- boil some water, use a fine paint brush to apply hot water to mortise. Let dry. Stick stem back in. That should gain you .002"...
Or the alternative- heat the tenon with heat gun- force it over the smooth end of a drill bit slightly larger than the hole in the stem. Let cool- that will also get you .002"

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
When pipe stem is stick or loose I do recommend a beeswax for both. It can be a rublication also a holder.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Never tried beeswax but I'm sure it's fine. Probably vaseline would be fine too. For a loose stem I just heat the tenon with a lighter for a few seconds then press it against a hard surface, of course all of my pipes only cost me about 12$ each but I've only had to do it to 2 of them and it worked fine with no damage.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Or the alternative- heat the tenon with heat gun- force it over the smooth end of a drill bit slightly larger than the hole in the stem. Let cool- that will also get you .002"

+1

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I'd recommend beeswax. There's a whole host of lubricants you can use, I'm sure even WD40 would work. I once used beef dripping on an awkward stem, there wasn't anything wrong with it but yknow...

Status
Not open for further replies.