PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
Hey folks,
I've had a Dr. Grabow Lark for about 6 months and the stem has always been quite sticky in the shank. The other day as I was attempting to remove it for a cleaning the stem broke at the lip of the shank. Now I have a chunk of vulcanite in the shank that I can't get out. Can any of you think of a safe way to get this out without harming the briar? Also, where would the best place to buy a replacement stem be?
Thanks!

Jan 8, 2013
I would start by putting the pipe in the freezer for a bit, then find a screw slightly larger than the opening in the broken tenon. Gently twist the screw clockwise into the tenon. Once it starts to bite, continue to turn it while pulling it out. Be very careful not to over tighten it, you could crack the shank. Being cold will help shrink the briar down, making it's grip on the tenon loosen.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Unless you want to fix it yourself I'd leave the extraction to the person who is FITTING the new stem. May be that a replacement would need fitting for tenon size and flush fit to the outside of the stummel.
Try Walker Briar Works.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I'd crank the stummel down hard in a bench vice, and take a slide hammer to it. But that's just me.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/73703/dr-grabow-lark/ Considering it's only a 27$ pipe I would chalk it up to a learning experience. I've done this to a few pipes, now I know if the stem is stuck stick it in the freezer for a good 8 hours at least. Always twist gently and pull, and I always wet the stem with saliva before putting it back in. The screw might work, make sure it's a very small screw as I've attempted this and cracked the shank of the pipe in the process. I'd give it a go as a learning experience, and just be happy it's not an expensive pipe.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
Thanks for the advice, guys. I know it's a cheap pipe, but as my first briar it has a lot of nostalgia value and I would hate to lose it. I'll try the screw method, but if that doesn't work I think I'll send it to Walker Briar Works.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'd just check with Dr. Grabow over walker briar and see what they can do

Dr.Grabow

International Pipes & Accessories
PO Box 849

Sparta, North Carolina 28675
Phone: 336-372-5521

Fax: 336-372-2875
Email: info@drgrabow.net

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
+1 on what Andrew said. The factory will replace the stem for around $10.00.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Whoa Ejames I had no idea you were such a skilled pipe maker. This repair is freaking genious!!

Nording 20 Freehand. This pipe came to me with a hole in the bottom of the bowl caused by a burnout. I repaired it by installing a briar plug and then rusticating the area around the plug so that it would not show. New, these pipes are quite expensive,in the $600.00 to $700.00 range. Asking $75.00 shipped in the USA or to APO-FPO.

2128439_orig.jpg

563688_orig.jpg

Wow.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
@Ruger414 I'm just going to say if that pipe is that sentimental to you just ship it to dr. grabow as there's a special tool specifically for removing cracked stems stuck in shanks, plus you'll have to get the pipe fitted for a new stem anyways, so rather than attempting to get it out and most likely cracking the shank (I've done this myself using the screw technique on cheap estates I've chalked up to a learning experience) just get a pro to do it for 10$.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Get a sawzall, chop off a half inch, and duct tape a new stem to the sucker....or you can ignore my advice and send it out to be properly repaired....:)

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Whoa Ejames I had no idea you were such a skilled pipe maker. This repair is freaking genious!!
Andrew,I borrowed the idea from someone. Got the idea from looking at a price list of one of the pipe repairman out there. The idea of plugging a bowl like that never occurred to me until I read that price list.
I take it you found my website, I don't remember listing that pipe here.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
take a sheet rock screw put a a tiny bit of super glue on the first 2 threads screw it in a bit and let dry.Then take a a vise grip and twist and pull. I have removed at least 3 stems doing it this way. just make sure you pull it out straight.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I used the screw in the tenon, stuck it in the freezer overnight, the next day the tenon pretty much fell out. It was much easier than I thought, I didn't even have to pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.