PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tommydawg

Lurker
Jul 4, 2021
Pepperell MA
Hi. I have a pipe barely two years old and the stem is already oxidizing. Can this be cleaned up or brought back? Also, does one type of stem (vulcanite or lucite) do better in avoiding the process? Thanks!
Tom

Reactions: buzkirk

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Vulcanite/ebonite will oxidise if exposed to sunlight. Better quality vulcanite will resist oxidation better.

I have a Peterson which I bought new and kept in a cupboard always. It oxidised after less than 18 months. When I tried polishing it with toothpaste, the stem developed a few pits. Obviously very poor quality vulcanite was used.

I have several pipes that are over 100yo and have had no problems maintaining black shiny stems

Acrylic stems will not oxidise. So consider them if micromeshing and oiling stems is not your thing.

I do not mind acrylic stems as I use rubber bits with all my pipes.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Once the oxidation is removed there are a couple of things that you can do to slow its inevitable return -- coat the stem after use with obsidian oil (or similar, chapstick also works) and keep it out of sunlight. Some have also had success with jewelry cleaner cloth, plastic cleaner, or toothpaste in keeping the stem new looking.

I've not had good luck soaking vulcanite stems in Oxyclean. The process did not seem to remove much of the oxidation and left the stems with a gritty feeling that I needed to address with micro-mesh anyway.

Tommydawg

Lurker
Jul 4, 2021
Pepperell MA
Gentlemen, these were all really helpful suggestions. I had mineral oil, and that was perfect for my needs now. Will learn more about the other methods as well. I realized that I’ve been overlooking routine pipe cleaning as part of my learning. I’m an infrequent smoker, and have a few pipes in rotation but I will now start building in general cleaning and maintenance. Thanks…

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I keep my vulcanite out of the light. And I'm a big fan of Obsidian oil.

Low quality vulcanite will still tarnish when kept in the dark. You'll either have to live with it and/or engage in regular tarnish removal. Or sell them to those who have a high tolerance for tarnish who say that their vulcanite stems look fine even when kept in the light. Heh.

Acrylic stems stay shiny.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
I have one pipe that the stem oxidizes and frankly it just feels like part of the experience to me. Reminds me of your grandfathers pipes.
Some of grandpa's were very high quality. Before I learned to keep hard rubber in the dark, I kept a bunch of my pipes on top of my china hutch. The 4-number Kaywoodie from the 1930s tarnished the least.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Some of grandpa's were very high quality. Before I learned to keep hard rubber in the dark, I kept a bunch of my pipes on top of my china hutch. The 4-number Kaywoodie from the 1930s tarnished the least.
took till now from the mid 90's for my current oxidized one to do so. I polish it when it starts getting that sulfur flavor. Toothpaste and baking soda paste works great. It's actually taken a while for it to start up again. And I display it openly always have too.

Reactions: Tommydawg and mingc

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
My method may be frowned upon. I bought a NOS pipe from the 60s with fully oxidized stem(greenish). I wanted to smoke it right away so I did a quick wash in dishsoap to clean out inside dust etc, then took a piece of papertowel and sprayed some windex on it and rubbed the oxidation off ... took about 5 minutes and few folds of the towel. Then I hit it with Butcher Block oil (food grade mineral oil) ; wiped that down and applied some wax. I have to do that periodically but only the part of stem that goes in mouth.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
My method may be frowned upon. I bought a NOS pipe from the 60s with fully oxidized stem(greenish). I wanted to smoke it right away so I did a quick wash in dishsoap to clean out inside dust etc, then took a piece of papertowel and sprayed some windex on it and rubbed the oxidation off ... took about 5 minutes and few folds of the towel. Then I hit it with Butcher Block oil (food grade mineral oil) ; wiped that down and applied some wax. I have to do that periodically but only the part of stem that goes in mouth.
If you're happy with it, it doesn't matter what other people think. Carry on!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Interesting, I may try that sometime. I've not had issues with newly bought pipes but just burn oxidation off of estates.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
f04faf60c3abcde2b3c369423b829e4b.jpg

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
If you're happy with it, it doesn't matter what other people think. Carry on!
Just curious how you're making out with the butcher block oil, I picked up some walrus butcher block oil recently and it seems to be working great, not sure why it's not mentioned more for stems.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Do you use regular Windex or the one with ammonia? I'm at the supermarket now and was thinking of picking some up.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon