PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
It is just a triviality, but I felt like sharing :)
Suppose you restored the stem logo of your pipe by filling it with whatever material.
Like liquid paper, Crayola etc. and it just looks too white and you feel like giving it an extra touch to
make it look a little more "seasoned " , or authentic, or older etc.
Give it a most careful touch with a cotton swab moistened with strong coffee , or black tea.
I tried it on one of those intolerable hot melted stem logo of a Barling's make ; these logos darken a little over time and it makes them look so classy.
Sadly a fresh filled one looks so ... well "fresh" if you take my meaning.
So much better now.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Reactions: orlandofurioso

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I prefer the “new” appearance rather than the aged/antique. I’ve used spray paint, like Duplicolor Silver Metallic, and spray it into a paper cup, bowel, or similar. I then apply it with a fine brush. The paint is so thin that it self-levels into the indentation, and then I wipe off any excess. I apply a little sealant/wax and viola. It usually holds up better than the original. This technique works in other similar applications as well...

Also, while not necessary, it helps to coat the sounding surface with wax, or similar... carefully not letting it into the recessed area. It’s then easier to remove any excess paint. Of course prepping the surface is important too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.