PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Just bought a 1996 Comoy. Nice pipe. When I got it home I wiped the stem with a damp paper towel and it discolored it, more like the finish came off a bit and exposed a light brown color. How can I correct this or stop it from getting worse? Pipe in picture is the one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191226-153803_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191226-153803_Chrome.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 19

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Ok so my question now is, should I oxy and sand until the stem is black? Or should I be putting oil now? Thanks, anybody.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
When you get a pipe with a stem made from vulcanite or ebonite you can slow that oxidation with Obsidian pipe stem oil. If you don't have that use mineral or olive oil.

You can use plain white toothpaste to polish the stem then run it with oil and wipe the oil off.
What do you use to apply the toothpaste? Fingers? Buffer?

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
If you very carefully continue to sand with finer and finer grit, the stem can attain a black mirror finish. A final coat of some sort of wax will help protect it from oxidizing again.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You can use plain white toothpaste to polish the stem then run it with oil and wipe the oil off.
Since starting to use toothpaste on stems as the final polish I've not needed to use oil.

What do you use to apply the toothpaste? Fingers? Buffer?
Thumb buff until the toothpaste is gone.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I had the same experience with a Comoy Pot that I bought. It must have been sitting in the shop for a long time. When I got it home and applied moisture to the stem it instantly oxidized and the whole stem went from black to brown. I am planning to clean it up over the holidays.
A light rub with mineral oil will restore it to what it was before, perhaps better. Minimum fuss.

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan

So this is how it turned out. I'm happy with it. Sand paper made it rough but I kind of like that, feels like wood. It's a Comoy 1996 Christmas. Having Haunted Bookshop as its first smoke. Doing well, happy with the purchase. Thanks all for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.