Stem Bite-through Repairs - Glue Type and Color Matching?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes
9 Fresh Radice Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
2 Fresh Kent Rasmussen Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
Title edited for caps and brevity. Please see Rule 9. -jpm. Original:

What is your process for stem bite through repairs - glue type and color matching?

Hello friends!

I've done a few stem chew mark repairs and I'm not quite happy with them - I can do better, based on examples I've seen here.

My process has been to sand an old donor pipe stem to get the colored dust, then apply the dust into a generic shape onto the wear point (as dry dust), and then drip a very viscous version of CA glue onto it (like the consistency of water). I'm not getting great color (comes out more brown than the surrounding stem) and an overall lack of control, especially when it comes to avoiding the airway.

I've seen some pictures from Reborn Pipes and others here that 'mix' a powder (usually stem dust or charcoal) with some type of glue that ends up looking VERY smooth and ink black, and then applying to the damaged area of the stem. I've tried using a gel type CA glue for mixing, but the stuff just instantly hardens, smokes, and cures before I can even mix with a color. What glue to you all use specifically for this repair that gives you enough time to apply it?

Also, do you use the stem dust or charcoal? I'm not happy with the stem dust I've used, it comes out too brown. As far as charcoal goes, do you literally just go out to your grill/fire and grab/grind up some charcoal? or do you smash up a briquette from a bag?

Last question, I promise! (okay maybe not) - what do you use to block the airway of the stem from getting glue in it? I need something that the super glue won't stick to, but that I can easily form into the right shape and still be able to get out. For the one time I did it on a 'bite through' damaged stem, I used aluminum foil (uhh, a mistake haha) and spent a while digging it out.

Thank you for your thoughts and feedback from your experience! Your information is saving pipe lives!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
I appreciate the responses. My main question/concern is how the charcoal is able to be mixed w/ the glue in time to get it on the stem. Maybe it is just the glue I'm using. As soon as I get it out of the bottle, it starts curing. Glue is your standard CA (cyranoacrylate). I did a little experiment where I mixed a small puddle of it w/ stem dust and it started smoking and curing instantly. Still, willing to try.

Also I saw a 'rubber toughened' CA glue and I think I might try it as an experiment on a sacrificial stem. I mean, vulcanite just a hard rubber, right? And the glue is already black. It may prove to be the perfect thing. I'll check out the video of the epoxy repair as well. Thanks for that! And thanks @Chasing Embers for your link as well.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I did a few some years ago. I used clear epoxy mixed with charcoal (black epoxy is available), waxed cardboard (cut into a V shape) smeared with Vaseline on one side and lots of patience.

The final results depend just as much on your technique & patience as materials used.

Good luck with it and please show your results.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I've used StewMac black cyno with mixed results. I recently bought the G/flex components in the post above, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I have a damaged stem on one of my CPF pipes that's a good candidate, but, I need to deoxidize and clean it up first. I'll follow up at some point.

Epoxy will surely give you more working time than cyno.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Go get a big African Blackwood block. Find the offending individual who chewed through the stem. Hit him few times and tell him not to do it again. Problem solved. Wait, you still have to fix the old stem.

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
Go get a big African Blackwood block. Find the offending individual who chewed through the stem. Hit him few times and tell him not to do it again. Problem solved. Wait, you still have to fix the old stem.
As a guitar builder, that would quickly be sawn up into some fretboards! Alas, the problem would remain.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
I only filled craters in one stem and used JB Weld. It works well. Sands to a smooth finish with wet/dry at the end and a little buffing. The only thing is after sanding it is not as jet black as the original stem so you can see the patch but the fill is perfectly level with the original ie you cant feel and edge with your nail. It actually dries glossy and looks exactly like the stem but sanding dulls it. Maybe mixing more carefully would help as the dulness looks like some air bubbles or i could take a low flame or heat gun to it and buff further but i am happy enough with the result and it was super easy and cheap. Also for a bite through I recommend shoving an appropriate gauge copper wire inside the stem to prevent clogging. Peace619ED0A4-76F3-43EB-A25E-1D53574838B1.jpeg

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
I only filled craters in one stem and used JB Weld. It works well. Sands to a smooth finish with wet/dry at the end and a little buffing. The only thing is after sanding it is not as jet black as the original stem so you can see the patch but the fill is perfectly level with the original ie you cant feel and edge with your nail. It actually dries glossy and looks exactly like the stem but sanding dulls it. Maybe mixing more carefully would help as the dulness looks like some air bubbles or i could take a low flame or heat gun to it and buff further but i am happy enough with the result and it was super easy and cheap. Also for a bite through I recommend shoving an appropriate gauge copper wire inside the stem to prevent clogging. PeaceView attachment 142260
Hit that with a Sharpie (tm) and it will blend right in...

Reactions: OSOBUCO