PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The other night I walked in a smoke shop beside the Thai restaurant my wife and I were waiting for our meal, in search of more Sweet Natural by Smoker Friendly.

I drew a blank on that, but I hate to leave a little shop with just a thank you. So I bought a $5.99 Missouri Meerschaum Legend pipe and a $1.19 an ounce package of tobacco.

You can get a good start in pipe smoking for less than the tip at a small restaurant.

Or even a package of name brand cigarettes.

I hope this situation continues, but for today pipe smoking is the cheapest sinful vice out there.:)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A MM hardwood and a baggie of a fair Virginia or burley or a pouch of codger blend might be twelve bucks or less. Sometimes the best things in life aren't free, but if you keep a leash on your expectations, they needn't be expensive either.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A MM hardwood and a baggie of a fair Virginia or burley or a pouch of codger blend might be twelve bucks or less. Sometimes the best things in life aren't free, but if you keep a leash on your expectations, they needn't be expensive either.
The MM hardwoods are $10 here locally, still cheaper than dirt, but almost twice the plastic Amber stemmed cob Legend.

There is a Chinese brand of hardwood pipes for $3.99 offered. To say they are junk is an insult to junk.

There are also $5 plastic pipes with metal bowls and little $2 pipes I think are for a different kind of smoking.:)

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Someone should do a test on how bad those AliExpress pipes are

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You can get a good start in pipe smoking for less than the tip at a small restaurant.

Or even a package of name brand cigarettes.
Two approaches - both equally valid

1) Go cheap and low.
Especially if you're not sure if its going to appeal

2) Fork out more for quality. Don't have to go silly buying high end
A wine mentor told me a long time ago "If you want to get someone interested in wine, pour them a glass of something really good. They are not going to be convinced if you give them a glass of 2-buck chuck"
Makes good sense 🤔

The barrier to pipe enjoyment isn’t cost, it is understanding the mechanics.
^^^^^
This also makes a lot of sense bdw

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
@Briar Lee: I am going to have to start hanging out in your neck of the woods as that's a pretty good deal. How much is chew?
Most rural gas stations have a 99 cent brand of snuff and Bowie loose leaf is extremely cheap, sometimes two for $2.

Mainstay brands like Skoal are about $5.

A name brand package of unfiltered Pall Mall, Camel, or Lucky Strike is nearly $10.

Real pipe tobacco varies a lot.

In Humansville Half and Half is $3.50 a pouch.

Borkum Riff and Captain Black are $9.

The RYO grade “pipe tobacco” I bought for $1.20 an ounce was Golden Harvest.

The kicker is to see 16 ounce packages of “expanded tobacco” (fluffed) as big as a full sized pillow for about $10.

And booze is so cheap here, beside the checkout line was a tub of generic gin, two 50ml bottles for 99 cents.

Before long we’ll see legal weed for a dollar, in the cheap smoke and booze shops.:)

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Actually had a pipe just like those, with the weird screws inside it about 15 years ago. Didn't buy it for tobacco. Ugh....
Once it’s nationally legal, the same farmers that raise 2,000 pounds of burley an acre that sells for $2 a pound will without doubt raise high quality cannabis under contract for the same big tobacco companies that can sell an ounce of tobacco for under one dollar at a profit.

And while I’m a little on in years to start up another vice, millions upon millions of people will.

The only reason people would smoke weed in god awful cheap pipes is they aren’t smoking for taste.

America sells the best bad things on earth cheaper than anyplace else.

Legal weed is going to taste like Creme Brulee.:)

When it tastes good, and it’s cheap, the cannabis smokers will demand and get specially made briar pipes, without metal inserts.:)

Reactions: dunnyboy

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Once it’s nationally legal, the same farmers that raise 2,000 pounds of burley an acre that sells for $2 a pound will without doubt raise high quality cannabis under contract for the same big tobacco companies that can sell an ounce of tobacco for under one dollar at a profit.

And while I’m a little on in years to start up another vice, millions upon millions of people will.

The only reason people would smoke weed in god awful cheap pipes is they aren’t smoking for taste.

America sells the best bad things on earth cheaper than anyplace else.

Legal weed is going to taste like Creme Brulee.:)

When it tastes good, and it’s cheap, the cannabis smokers will demand and get specially made briar pipes, without metal inserts.:)
I live in the emerald triangle and people are genuinely surprised when they find out I’m just smoking tobacco in my pipe.