PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
So in my ignorance I ordered up some bulk SOTE and was a bit sad to realize that the bulk is not in flake form. Completely my fault but I am curious, is it worth getting the tins? The bulk smokes well and tastes good but since getting into flakes, I do try to buy them when possible. Does the hot press produce a noticeable difference in your opinion? I'll be puffing on the bulk regardless but it will be influencing the next order of it.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I rather like the tinned flake I like to rub it out just enough to get it packed. Sort of an in between fold and stuff and three pack method. I've never tried the bulk but I really like the pressed.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I've only smoked the bulk and I love it. I wonder if the difference between the flake and the bulk is akin to that of a "ready-rubbed" version of a flake a la Jackknife Plug or Mac Baren's Old Dark Fired?

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yo dai - there is SOTE and there is also SOTE Flake. Sometimes I've seen the SOTE with broken flake in it. When you get bulk, it's a bit of a chance whether you receive the 'bottom of the barrel', sort of like the bottom of a chips bag has the bits and not the nice big flakes.
hp

les

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Thank you all for the input. Cosmic, I have come to trust your input since your recommendations have been spot on for me. While I'm not sure if your palate agrees with mine, mine seems to agree with yours. I'll be swapping a few bowls of bulk for flake and shall see soon enough. In the mean time, the bulk is quite tasty.

Mar 1, 2014
I'm sure the flake is better (burns cooler) but I won't mind having something that burns easy every once in a while.
I've got a bag of this on the way (IPSD), so it's good to hear people speak favourably of the bulk.

Thank you, and if you like that sour tastes that the orientals have in this blend, give Yenidje Highlander by McClelland a try. It doesn't come in bulk and doesn't have nearly as much latakia, but I find myself enjoying it down to the last puff. I almost got a bite from the way the flavors bloomed mid-bowl, and found myself choo choo puffing it way too fast to pull even more of the flavors out. Of course SOTE is much better in this bitter cold because of the latakia, but once it warms a tad in your area, I think you'd enjoy it. I wish it came in bulk. I'd definitely buy it out just to make sure I had this one on hand at my convenience.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo cos - SOTE does come in bulk. I just looked on SP, 4N and Marscigars and they all show it. P&C used to stock it too, and maybe they are just S/O right now. SOTE Flake used to come in 8oz tins, which isn't exactly bulk but would cost less per oz than the small tins.
hp

les

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
I think the flavors are more pleasing in the non-flake form, but I can't explain how -- it just tastes better to me.
(This is counter to every other blend I've ever had. I will choose the flake over the ribbon in every other case.)
It does seem to burn a whole lot faster than the flake version, though.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Thanks for the suggestion Cosmic, I have been eyeing those blends. My love of Balkans has me interested to try more orientals in general. Although still cold here I have already been breaking out some Va's because after -40, 30 above seems like spring. So I will be headed towards summer smokes soon. Thank again for all the input folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.