PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Can someone give me information on Stanwell's handmade line? I've notices the estates are more expensive than many of their new pipes. Are the handmades of a better quality? I've searched on line and could not find anything specifically addressing these pipes. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Great info, BB! Just what I was looking for. Another related question: any particular reason why the Reg'd No 969-48 pipes are popular among collectors? Is it the quality of the briar, or perhaps a particular pipemaker's handiwork? And what's the year(s) of this unique pipe?
I'm asking because I've seen a pipe from this series; it's beautiful and I'm thinking of purchasing it.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Wow, that sounds wonderful BB! I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Hadn't planned on getting another pipe, but I saw this one and couldn't resist. Here's a link to the one I picked up: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/denmark/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=123601
Let me know what you think.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Yeah, Roth! It's possibly the tallest one I've encountered. I love the chimney shape; it's my favorite. This'll be my second. The other is a Poul Olsen handmade I use as a knock around. Happens to be my favorite for the time being. Looking forward to this one coming in.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Just got my new/estate Stanwell Hand Made, a Chimney, and it looks great. Thinking I'll dedicate it to VaPers and break it out this fall for its first smoke.
Hey, BB. This Hand Made has the S with the crown above it. Any idea what the date on this might be? Thanks for the info.
Sam

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
img_0395-450x600.jpg

Picked this beauty up a year ago it has a regd # 969-48. Its an early 60's model.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
BB,
Thanks for the excellent information and background on Stanwells. I have a few and they are great smokers. I had no idea the line as a whole was so good. I always like to hear about excellence in pipe making.
Best,

Joe

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Is it hard to keep those chimneys going? I'd assume they need a lot of re-lights.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Not really juni; no more difficult than a normal size pipe bowl. The only thing I do differently is use my Zippo pipe lighter. It has a larger flame that'll reach the bottom of the bowl with ease. I also make sure I have a longer pipe tool to tamp down there. Other than that, it's just like any other pipe.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I've had problems with thin, tall bowls myself. I guess I used to pack too tight in the early days.

Status
Not open for further replies.