PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Just bought an estate stanwell stamped SSM 2003. Searched the interwebs pretty darn thoroughly and can find no info so if anyone knows what SSM stand for please let me know!
Thanks for the support!
The “new guy”

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title

Last edited by a moderator:

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Here is what I found...
The pipe is clearly stamped “SSM 87”, which means that it was produced for the South Sealland championships in 1987
Source..

https://thepipesmoker.wordpress.com/2011/10/15/old-george/

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Thx for the info, found that also but my digging around I could find no ref to such a place. There were some places in Denmark that are close. I would think if Stanwell put out pipes with this stamping there would be more info? Could be wrong and wouldn’t be the first time!

OlrikFan

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
Sealand is the English name for “Sjælland”, the island with Copenhagen to the north. Not an expert, but DM stands for the danish pipe smoking championship, so I assume SSM is/was a local championship

Reactions: kurtbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Stamping on pipe shanks and bowls is often more mystifying than informative. It's kind of a shame, but except for a few rare pipe makers and smokers, people seem quite satisfied with cryptic balderdash, so that is what we have. Even the nation-of-origin is often half correct or not at all.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Sealand is the English name for “Sjælland”, the island with Copenhagen to the north. Not an expert, but DM stands for the danish pipe smoking championship, so I assume SSM is/was a local championship
I must say your guess makes sense.....at least in my head! Thanks for the reply!

OlrikFan

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
Glad it helped! In the big days of pipe smoking Stanwell made a pretty large number of smaller series. I got a Stanwell recently as a gift. It has a brass plate saying “Amager 1996”. I got stubborn just like you, but all I could find on the net were one or two pipes with other names of danish towns and the same year. What the series was for, I still don’t know.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Glad it helped! In the big days of pipe smoking Stanwell made a pretty large number of smaller series. I got a Stanwell recently as a gift. It has a brass plate saying “Amager 1996”. I got stubborn just like you, but all I could find on the net were one or two pipes with other names of danish towns and the same year. What the series was for, I still don’t know.
View attachment 6430
That’s a very nice pipe! Trying to learn all I can, just started with the pipe about 5 yrs ago. Didn’t have anyone to teach me the pipe smoking basics so figured it out on my own. Now that I have that kind of figured out, I wanted to learn more about pipes and the history. Had no idea this site even existed until a few months back. Would have been great had I known back when I started!

Reactions: OlrikFan

OlrikFan

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
That’s a very nice pipe! Trying to learn all I can, just started with the pipe about 5 yrs ago. Didn’t have anyone to teach me the pipe smoking basics so figured it out on my own. Now that I have that kind of figured out, I wanted to learn more about pipes and the history. Had no idea this site even existed until a few months back. Would have been great had I known back when I started!
Thanks, kurtbob, I love the pipe too. Would never have picked it myself, but it keeps growing on me. It’s a really nice site. I’ve used it for quite a while now picking up tips and advice and thought I’d finally join in. I learned pipe smoking from a book my dad gave me many years ago together with his small pipe collection. So I learned it the old school way from the start. It didn’t keep me from doing stupid things though, and I broke and abused a few pipes along the way. So I guess the best teacher is really trying out and finding your own way of smoking.

Last edited:

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Thanks, kurtbob, I love the pipe too. Would never have picked it myself, but it keeps growing on me. It’s a really nice site. I’ve used it for quite a while now picking up tips and advice and thought I’d finally join in. I learned pipe smoking from a book my dad gave me many years ago together with his small pipe collection. So I learned it the old school way from the start. It didn’t keep me from doing stupid things though, and I broke and abused a few pipes along the way. So I guess the best teacher is really trying out and finding your own way of smoking.
You are 100% right on the learn what works for you thing! Yeah, the first 5 cobs I bought to start this journey didn’t survive my learning curve. Thanks again for the stamping info!

Reactions: OlrikFan
Status
Not open for further replies.