Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just got wondering does anybody know when Stanwell switched using Acrylic stems on their pipes,as we all know the older Denmark made ones did come with vulcanite stems and current production uses Acrylic,however I have few Made in Denmark Stanwells which are fitted with Acrylic stems like the one seen below
CIMG1223.JPG

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have a couple of Stanwells which I purchased new in the '70's - both with vulcanite stems. The freehand pipe with handcut stem smokes well. The other (a Sixten Ivarsson shape 24b) had a stem which was so oxidised (I assume internally as well) which no amount of cleaning out the internals with alcohol and treating with Obsidian oil could remove the rank, sour, sulphurous taste. I sent it to The Danish Pipe Shop for a new acrylic stem, and it smokes beautifully now.
My only 2 Stanwells and both still enjoyed regularly today.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
German tobacconist Pfeifen Huber state on their site, that Stanwell did the transition to acrylic in 1995.
Not that it matters much to me if 1995 or about 1998, as I already mentioned above but I would then guess that Stanwell may, as Huber said, already have introduced some acrylic stems earlier, with the 9 mm filter pipes for the German market. Danes didn’t buy 9 mm filter pipes.

Reactions: BROBS and burleyboy

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
German tobacconist Pfeifen Huber state on their site, that Stanwell did the transition to acrylic in 1995.
Interesting! Huber also mentions the optimal bite height of approx. 4 mm. Like I read in my Danish ‘pipe bible’ many years ago, based on dental science and the very reason I always liked ‘thin’ bites:

“Wir sprechen beim Mundstück von der Bisshöhe, also genau dem Bereich, der im Mund gehalten wird. Dann kommt die Bisskante hinzu, die dafür Sorge trägt, dass die Pfeife Halt findet. Bei der Höhe liegen die Hersteller in der Regel bei 4 Millimetern. Mehr sollte es nicht sein, da ansonsten das gute Stück nicht „satt“ liegt. “

duggadugdug

Lurker
Sep 27, 2018
I may be misremembering what I have read in the past, but I think that Stanwell may have introduced *some* acrylic stems around 1995 (which were so identified by a gold dot next to the gold crowned S logo), and transitioned to acrylic as the default stem material around 1998 (at which point they dropped the dot).

Reactions: BROBS