PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Hello.
I have just ordered two estate pipes to add to my ever growing collection of Stanwells. The ones I own are all new stock "designed in Denmark" but made in Italy. I love them and to me, they smoke and look better than any Pete or Sav I've tried.
Well, this time I have a pre-2010 and a Registration era coming my way. I know that common sense dictates that danish made Stanwells, and particularly registration era pipes were much better than the current stock but since I have no first hand experience with them I would like to hear some opinions. What exactly makes them so different? How about Regds, what's so great about them except more precise dating?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I think the older pipes have a historical connection with certain carvers who worked with or got their start with Stanwell, but my experience with those older pipes is that they are not really any better than a modern pipe in terms of materials or construction. They are neat to own and smoke.
Stanwell has always made simple pipes (no stingers, no contraptions) so there's not much to go wrong, really. They were one of the first non-Italian companies to make acrylic stems ubiquitous and that put some people off (and I suppose some people cheered it). They are a good quality factory-made pipe.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I'm not so sure about era but some of the shapes were designed by hugely respected pipe makers. For example Jess Chonowitsch, Tom Eltang, and Sixten Ivarsson. I find the following web page to be a useful resource: Stanwell Shape Numbers and Designers
Edit: I thoroughly enjoy my "designed in Denmark" Stanwell from Italy. In fact I just smoked it today.

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Thank you Sas and Seldom for your input.
Actually, one of the most important features I look for in a Stanwell pipe is if it was designed by either Sixten, Tom or Jess. I usually consult this german site for reference: http://www.stanwell-tabak-pfeife.de/f5-STANWELL-TOP-THEMA.html.
It's a blessing that those designs can be found in "easier to acquire" new stock too. However, I did notice that some of those models are not made anymore and that's mostly why I am acquiring danish era estates. Been eyeing a Sixten's 70 for a long long time and finally snagged it.
Hey Sas, maybe you can tell me: did older Stanwells have turned tenons?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
The older pipes did have integral (turned) tenons, as far as I have seen. I know that say, 10 years ago, they were all basically a standard tenon size (9mm if I remember right) but even then I think some were integral (I had a Queen that was an insert tenon).
I don't know what the Italian ones look like.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Never got in on the Stanwells made in Denmark. Because they were so appreciated, I held back on buying my first Stanwell made in Italy, with some trepidation. The PC prices finally made it easy to test the waters, and I find the several I own impressive, nicely finished, durable, and a good continuation of the brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.