PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Next thing you know the CIA's gonna move in and create a rival gang with wrist rockets smoking Middleton's Cherry.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I bought a dozen to hand out to neighborhood kids with a pouch of Captain Black Grape. - woodsroad
LOL. Although this really was a great way to buy something nice at a good price to use for a gift. Thanks pipesandcigars.com
My brother's family stopped by for an early Christmas celebration and in keeping with the tobacco theme of gifts I got everyone, my nephew got a pack of candy cigarettes as one of his presents.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Well, well, well, my daughter gave me a $50 gift card for Christmas, so I ordered two more pipes which mean I now have a #32, #179 and #190 on the way.
I am excited to get these pipes and hope they smoke well for me. Now I just have to wait for the pipes to get here, and since I live on the West coast it is going to be a long wait. :) The good news is that with the gift card I opted for the three day shipping from UPS so two of the pipes should be here by the end of week.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
So, here's a totally unflattering, "from the workbench" photo of what I ended up with in the end. From top to bottom: 32, 403 (sort of), 191, and 185.
duyMtaJ.jpg

Anthony, looking forward to seeing your work on whichever one is deemed most "problematic".

Nothing problematic, per se. It's just that I'm not a fan of the uninspired, "brushed" finish. I'll re-texture the 403, 191, and 185. The 32 I'll leave as is for originality's sake.
I'll get to fine tuning the button and bending the stem later [...]

What's your issue with the button, Alex? That's one thing that I was particularly impressed with on these pipes.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I'll re-texture the 403, 191, and 185.

piffyr - I'd love to see a thread on how you go about that, following your progress and results. I'm tempted to try on one of the two I got.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I thought I had a great deal when I bought these for $49.99, a Canadian and a pot, and I think I paid about the same for my two 32 bulldogs in silk brune and smooth. I do like the 191, but I have a slightly larger Johs bulldog that fills that niche. These are a great deal. I hope one or more of our newbies building a rotation took this opportunity to buy these good pipes at this price. They'll last lifetime, with a little care, and they smoke great.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
I'd love to see a thread on how you go about that, following your progress and results. I'm tempted to try on one of the two I got.

I'm sorry to say that it's not likely, lazar. I suck at taking progress pics. Me in "work mode" and me in "photography mode" are two very different mes. I can describe the process easily enough though:
1.) Acquire sharp object(s) *powered or manual is your choice

2.) Hack at that briar like a masked psycho in an 80s slasher flick

3.) Enjoy the results of your work
That's really all there is to it. The technique you use is probably more important than the tool itself. If you give it a go, make sure to show us what you've come up with.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
I do like the 191, but I have a slightly larger Johs bulldog that fills that niche.

That's a deal breaker for me. It's both the size and the shape of the 191 that appeals to me. Any larger or smaller and it would miss that sweet spot that makes it feel so natural in my mitts.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
What's your issue with the button, Alex? That's one thing that I was particularly impressed with on these pipes.
No real issue, Anthony, just personal taste/aesthetics. The druaght on the stem is great but the 245 could use more bend to my eye and came with a blemish(pin hole divot) that was buffed over and glares at me. Also the button is a little amorphous/blobby on one side. Doesn't affect the smoke, just my ocd. No skin off my back for the price.
Grabbed a 207 as well, probably redo the finish on it. Pictured with 245 on top for size comparison.
20171227_145601-600x337.jpg

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
2.) Hack at that briar like a masked psycho in an 80s slasher flick
I'll add to your easy to follow instructions for rustication by emphasizing step 2, really hack at it full psycho style. Half finished rustication just looks bad.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
For those that could not get any of the links to work, P&C also has the Stanwell Brushed Brown pipes for $19.99 listed on their Pipes Under $50.00 page.

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
...and the deal is over. Price is back to $49 now. Good while it lasted.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I just picked up an 86 to go with my 405
randelli, those are the same two I bought. The 86 looks great, though the 405 has a massive protruding fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.