Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Dear friends,
My last Ebay purchase was a stunning Stanwell Royal Brown 42 shape in perfest condition, purchased from a respected and

trust worthy Ebay seller. It was sold to me as being an Sixten Ivarsson shape. There is little to be found on the worldwide web. Who can help me out ?

Greetings to you all

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Greetings Orlando. Welcome to the forums!
There are actually quite a few references to Stanwell, given how storied the factory and brand is, and also given the relationship between Stanwell and so many of the great Danish carvers. The first place I go to find information on anything pipe related is pipedia.
Here is the pipedia page on Stanwell: http://pipedia.org/wiki/Stanwell
I'd take a look through some of the old Stanwell Catalogues listed at the bottom of that page for more detailed information on the shapes.
In my quick google search I found a word-doc with a list of Stanwell Shapes by designer: http://www.fumeursdepipe.net/telecha/Stanwell%20Shapes%20by%20Designer.doc
So it does appear that the shape you purchased was initially designed by Sixten Ivarsson. This doesn't mean that he personally shaped the block, or cut the stem, but that the design was his.
I hope this helps,
-- Pat

May 31, 2012
That shape 42 is interesting, I think it's a nice design.
I think it was a German market only shape, that's why it's 9mm filter.
The earlier shape 42 looked like this

f5t2288p8709n1.jpg

and according to the shape list compiled by Basil D. Stevens, this was the Sixten designed pipe.
42. a) Billiard, slightly bent, long saddle mouthpiece, by Sixten Ivarsson.

b) Freehand, full bent, rectangular stem and mouthpiece.
The older shape # was superseded at some point by the newer design.
Although the newer design wasn't by Sixten, it could very well be by Tom Eltang or another great Dane, as he did quite a few shapes for Stanwell too.
Have a look at the great Pipedia page that Pat linked to, be sure to look through all the catalogs on there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.