PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

larry127

Lurker
Mar 12, 2016
Hi there,
Is anyone out here been smoking these two pipes ..kindly share your opinion .thanks

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Take the following with a pinch of salt. It is just my experience with the 207.
I have a Stanwell 207 and I hate it. I never smoke it. I bought it new about 2 years ago. It is by far my worst smoking pipe. No blend I have ever put in it has tasted good. After 1 smoke the wax finish turned into a matte finish of sorts and a small gap appeared between stem and shank on the top side. So now the stem fit looks poor. It takes a filter which I dislike and I don't like the shape of it either. It does not sit like it does in every picture I ever saw of one and the acrylic mouthpiece does not feel as nice as my other acrylic stems. I am unsure why. I am not sure what I was thinking when I bought it. If you go for one I would go for a blasted finish to avoid the problems I had with mine.
I am not having a go at Stanwell's though. I have many a Stanwell and and they are some of my better smokers but they are much older. Frankly, you can tell the build quality is better on them than my new 207. If I am honest this experience has put me off buying a new Stanwell despite knowing I was probably just unlucky.
Of course, your experience would likely be better.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I don't own either shape but I do have Stanwells and Savs.

I think the jury is still out on the Italian made Stannies for many pipe people. I don't know why since the Italians know pipe making.

All of my Savs are very good smokers and a great value for the money. Since both marques are in a similar price range you may want to go with the Savinelli. I don't think you can ever go wrong with them.

Good luck on your choice.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
My Savinelli 311KS is one of my best smokers. I don't have a stanwell 207, but I have a stanwell freehand that is a close second. I can definitely recommend the 311KS though.

gnome

Lurker
Feb 6, 2016
I have an Alligator 311 ks, that I got from Ben at Tobaccopipes.com. Overall, it is a good smoking pipe. I put in the "no filter" adapter from day one, I don't care for filters, but the option is there if you choose to. I like that it sits flat, it is convenient pick up and put down. It is well made and would not hesitate to buy it again.

larry127

Lurker
Mar 12, 2016
Nice good advise thanks..Have jz purchased the 311KS Oscar Tiger from Smokingpipes.com , can't wait to see it.. :)

mmopipe

Lurker
Mar 10, 2016
I own both of these, and the 311 KS is hands down the superior of the two. I can't even use the Stanwell 207 anymore because the bit has become so loose, it's unusable. The 311 KS is freaking awesome! I got the Trevi Rustic, and I'm going to get one of the smooth's next.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Thank you for this thread. I've fallen in love with the Roma 311. That is a beautiful little pipe. I think it will be my next pipe purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.