Standard Terms to Describe Amount of Bend?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Are there standard terms to describe the amount of bend in a pipe shank? How would you describe to an artisan pipe carver how much bend you'd like in a pipe your commissioning from them?

I've heard straight, quarter bent, half bent, three-quarter bent, full bent. Assume a straight pipe has no bend and is pointing straight out from your face when clenched in your teeth. To me this is 0-degrees relative to horizontal (think straight billiard) . Assume a full bent pipe is pointing straight down from your face when clenched in your teeth. To me this is 90-degrees relative to horizontal (think oom paul). With these two extreme cases in mind, a quarter bent would have a 22.5-degree angle, a half bent would have a 45-degree angle, and a three-quarter bent would have a 67.5 degree angle.

Reactions: ofafeather

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The quarter bent, half bent, three-quarter bent, full bent all work for me. I have no full bents anymore and only a couple 3/4, couple of half bents and a couple of quarter bents. Most of my pipes are straight as that is the look I prefer. I have no idea why I like straight so much. One day I might figure it out.

I just took a look at my collection and I have more 1/4 bents than any other bent pipe.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon