PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
As with fighter craft, food, ammo, jeeps, etc. World Leaders kept Stalin supplied with pipes, cigarettes, blends, cigars, and, so I've been told by history buffs, Churchill was his best "supplier". I rather doubt he was particularly concerned with "names", or manufacturers. Might have been though. I have read he preferred the harsh cigarettes of his youth to "Western" products. He's not around to ask so we forced put a bit of faith into pages written by those close to the subject. Or, we can simply buy off on any thing we hear which suits us.

To look at Stalin's Russia through 20th Century, western eyes is to miss most of the story. Solzhenitsyn probably wrote it best in his trilogy. I am or was acquainted with many Far Eastern Russians, many are now dead. Some were the children of Gulag denizens, prisoners and staff, and other, a few still alive, had been sent to the Russian Far East by Stalin's people. Very few blamed him for their being in the prison system. Most blamed the "system" and/or Stalin's underlings. To a very many Stalin was/is still viewed as the Savior of Mother Russia, the man who won WWII.

I try to remember the words of a professor, "No historical figure is only what the writers have painted him/her to be." Always check investigate the biases and preferences of authors.

Stalin was definitely not benign as a ruler. He was certainly self-serving. He wasn't a Russian but, he fullly understood how to motivate the Russian's love of Russia. One of the most studied leaders of the 20th Century.

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
Not trying to start problems, especially as the new guy, but here goes. I’m curious if those of you find this uninteresting because It’s Stalin or are just uninterested in the pipe habits of historical figures in general?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am uninterested in what he smoked. I am interested in history, and he plays a pretty big role in the 20th C.; therefor interest in Stalin. How he got what he smoked would be interesting to me.

I am interested in what famous people who I admire put in their chambers. Not, however, what today passes as "a celebrity".

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Not trying to start problems, especially as the new guy, but here goes. I’m curious if those of you find this uninteresting because It’s Stalin or are just uninterested in the pipe habits of historical figures in general?

I for one am holding my tongue on Stalin, but could really unload... at the risk of being banned. :LOL: Hard to say anything more without broaching the verboten political line ;)

ETA: Danged new guys, always starting problems! ?

lol j/k

Reactions: JimInks

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Thinking further, imagine our collective shock if Khrushchev had slammed a nice pipe on his desk instead of a shoe!

:eek:

Translation: “Dunhill will be destroyed!”

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
I for one am holding my tongue on Stalin, but could really unload... at the risk of being banned. :LOL: Hard to say anything more without broaching the verboten political line ;)

ETA: Danged new guys, always starting problems! ?

lol j/k

Understood. I'm not the head of the Stalin fan club either but I like hearing about how people used their pipes, what they smoked, etc. Unfortunately we really only hear about the famous ones and have to take what we can get even when they are less than admirable as people.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Does it make everyone who watches the history channel with a show about Hitler a Nazi?
No, it's interesting that these things happened in such recent history, and it makes one want to know why and how.
Without fully understanding these things, history is doomed to repeat itself.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I love to study history. Especially military history and with a ‘minor’ in Roman era. I have to really bite my tongue on certain political figures in an open forum for reasons I won’t/can’t disclose. I could bring Mr. S full circle, but no one wants to read that. Well, a couple might.

Generally speaking though, I agree with my friend BROBS’ opinion 100%.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
As with fighter craft, food, ammo, jeeps, etc. World Leaders kept Stalin supplied with pipes, cigarettes, blends, cigars, and, so I've been told by history buffs, Churchill was his best "supplier". I rather doubt he was particularly concerned with "names", or manufacturers. Might have been though. I have read he preferred the harsh cigarettes of his youth to "Western" products. He's not around to ask so we forced put a bit of faith into pages written by those close to the subject. Or, we can simply buy off on any thing we hear which suits us.

To look at Stalin's Russia through 20th Century, western eyes is to miss most of the story. Solzhenitsyn probably wrote it best in his trilogy. I am or was acquainted with many Far Eastern Russians, many are now dead. Some were the children of Gulag denizens, prisoners and staff, and other, a few still alive, had been sent to the Russian Far East by Stalin's people. Very few blamed him for their being in the prison system. Most blamed the "system" and/or Stalin's underlings. To a very many Stalin was/is still viewed as the Savior of Mother Russia, the man who won WWII.

I try to remember the words of a professor, "No historical figure is only what the writers have painted him/her to be." Always check investigate the biases and preferences of authors.

Stalin was definitely not benign as a ruler. He was certainly self-serving. He wasn't a Russian but, he fullly understood how to motivate the Russian's love of Russia. One of the most studied leaders of the 20th Century.
Warren, seems like you have good knowledge of contemporary CCCP&Russian History, You could not stop surprising me, ?

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Thanks Paul. I worked in the RFE for a few years putting together a joint security operation. Our base was Magadan, the central gulag in the Far East. We guarded commercial fishing operations, mines and other operations. My Russian opposite was the son of a gulag prisoner who married a gulag officer. This was back in the days when after serving your term, 5 years or more, you would not be allowed to return home and had to become a "free resident" of the region.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
There my brothers, lies the truth of the whole of history. Truer words NEVER spoken. Look at our own educational system today compared to what the older generations were taught. Nuff said...cray

Status
Not open for further replies.