PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
I am considering getting a #05 Peterson pipe. I really wanted the #221 pipe but it's not an option so I am assuming it is sold out. They are on special here: http://www.eacarey.com/st-patricks-day-2016-peterson-pipes.html

I was wondering if these pipes are quality pipes worth their asking price. Second question is, how many of you guys/gals do the special/holiday pipe collections? I really like the color of these pipes along with the festive colored band. What do you all think?
Cheers,

Jared

Jan 8, 2013
I don't think they released the 221 in the St Patty's Day pipes this year. I know they didn't include the XL90 like they usually do, much to my disappointment. So without the XL90 I had to settle for the 999. I'm pretty happy with it. I posted about it here a couple weeks ago. It wouldn't hurt to call them and ask them to check the drilling before you purchase. It seems that there can be some quality control issues on Peterson's lower dollar pipes. But I had not issue with mine and have yet to hear of anyone else having issues. I think Peterson might have gone all out on these this year, and made sure each one was checked and approved. I can tell you this, pictures don't do them justice. They are much nicer in person. Mine is smoking like a champ, by the way.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Hey Anthony,
Thanks for the input! I think I will have to pull the trigger on getting one of these along with the tin of the St Patrick's Day Pipe Tobacco.
Cheers,

Jared

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
So I found quite a few more styles on TobaccoPipes.com. I went with the B10 style pipe and a tin. Excited to get them both!
Cheers,

Jared
fmju9v.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
All in all I love my Petes, regardless of grade. I bet you'll fall in love with that one too. I just received my tins of this years blend. I'm not opening one up until St Patty's Day though... maybe. Last year's blend was great. If you didn't try that one, they re released it under the name Founder's Choice.
Fantastic birdseye on the flank of that B10. Enjoy the heck out of it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
foggymountain reported (I hope I paraphrase this correctly) that when in high school he used to work at a NYC pipe shop that sold a lot of Petersons and owned a number himself until, on into life, he ran into serious quality problem on some of the higher end pipes. Others have complained, and not just about low-end pipes. I own about eight Petes and have been lucky with them, but haven't bought any in recent years. If you really like the pipe, I'd take the chance. Petes do have a distinctive heft and style, but it wouldn't be up-front to ignore the complaints from experienced pipe smokers either. I too like the orange band. Forums members have puzzled about the orange-only color, since that is associated with the Protestant part of the Irish population; maybe this is to balance last year's altogether green theme in stain. My perennial St. Pat's pipe is Pete's Around the World pipe commemorating Ireland, a red stain with nickel band bent bulldog. I've visited Ireland twice in the past 16 years, the second time staying entirely in Dublin.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I ordered the 221 the other day from Pipes and Cigars, and they show they're still in stock (as the time of this post). Plus with the purchase of the pipe you get a sampler of Peterson tobaccos (4 pouches), and you'll qualify for free shipping with the purchase. I should get mine later this week.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I am far from being an expert on anything, but have 6 Petersons & like them all, except 1 military mount, because I am a klutz at times & have knocked it & it fell apart in my teeth & lap. Buy it.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I own 10 petes. Love em all. I don't like there system drilling and won't buy a system straight, but they are some of the best mass produced pipes I think.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Well, I got the B10 ordered and should have it Monday. Depending on the quality of this pipe, I think this will become a yearly tradition! Thanks for everyone's input.
Cheers,

Jared

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
And here, Lady's and Gentlemen is the 2016 pipe and tobacco set from Peterson. I am not going to smoke either until St. Patrick's day but the pipe looks and feels of high quality and the tobacco smells wonderful!
Cheers,

Jared
fuwdxx.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Congrats, Jared! The pictures really don't do them justice do they? I've had a few smokes with mine already, but not the blend yet. I'll wait until St Patty's Day for that. I've still a few of last year's blend to keep me happy until then. Nice B10. Enjoy the heck out of it! :)

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a real good looking pipe Jared. I hope she smokes like a champ for you. :puffy:

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I smoked my Tank L with the 2016 tobacco at last weekend's St. Patrick's Day parade. There are so many parades in different parts of the area, so this suburb does it a few weeks earlier.
nmlwed.jpg

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Nice! For those of you saving your pipes for St. Patrick's Day, keep in mind that the bowl coating can sometimes cause Petes to taste a bit sour on the first couple smokes. My personal preference is to break mine in before the big day, so I get a perfect smoke that day.
P.S. Thanks for buying from us Jared! :D

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Demetrakopoulos, I had a pair of jump boots just like those you're wearing in that pic, back in my US Army days. I loved those boots (Corcoran's I believe). I used to spit shine those suckers until they looked like mirrors.

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
tslex: Ha! I actually had a former member of the IRA tell me the same thing. He "inducted" me at one of the pubs.
It's actually just a "green" version of what I normally wear when I go out to an informal event.
markthelad: Shining boots is almost therapeutic for me. These are Bates, and you can't tell so much in the picture, but I buffed them to a mirror shine right before we left for the parade. Thanks for serving.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I went all out, or in, this year. I purchased the Pete Christmas Pipe, the St. Patrick Day's pipe and tobacco and now the Craftsman. I own a bunch of Petes, including now a Mark Twain collection, in addition to a 1980s Mark Twain and a Founder's Pipe.
I have to say that I have not had the troubles others have had with their Petes. Mine smoke! I have to say, however, the new Craftsman XL90, listed as a Bent Billiard on SPC, has been a little tough to break in.
Just to get a little ahead, Happy St. Patrick's Day all!

Status
Not open for further replies.