PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I bought a rack of these...just because they looked good and the price was right. Can anyone recommend a good recipe? If it's necessary to marinade, I'd like to get them going tonight or early in the morning, then have them ready for the better half's return from work in the evening.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Stubbs pork rub, an offset smoker, hickory wood preferred, at around 200-205 degrees until the meat pulls away from the end of the bone. I prefer to remove the parchment but, that's only an option. Carve into individual bones, serve with smoked garlic bread, slaw or salad of choice and smoked corn on the cob in season. I do not sauce and guests are only offered a medium hot, tangy BBQ sauce, none of that sweet stuff at my table!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I bought a rack of these...just because they looked good and the price was right. Can anyone recommend a good recipe? If it's necessary to marinade, I'd like to get them going tonight or early in the morning, then have them ready for the better half's return from work in the evening.
The world’s your oyster. You can marinate if you want. A good dry rub is what I usually do. I can’t give you a recipe. Not trying to be secretive, I just never measure anything. The biggest thing to pay attention to is temperature and time on the pit. Low and slow. They should not fall apart, or fall off the bone, but a bite ought to reveal a clean bone.

Reactions: ofafeather
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Whatever tub you prefer, the key is how you cook them. After rubbing them down and sitting overnight, baste in lard, cook for 1/2 hour around 300. Baste again, turn over and cook another 1/2 hour. Do this four times total. Remove, wrap in tin foil, poor some apple juice or whatever you prefer over them before closing. Bake at 200 to desired texture.

I've found there's no reason to smoke anything through duration, the meat will only accept so much smoke and you can dry the meat out. Quick cook for first part in smoker, then remove and finish in oven. Try it, best approach I've found for ribs by far.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Steam finishing? I've never heard of such. Different strokes I guess.

I do not use multiple methods when cooking meat usually. I grill ( What is called BBQ in most locations), broil, rarely bake and only steam, covered or foil wrapped, cooked in their own juices or added liquids as in "ribs and saurkraut", beef bournguignon and the like, cuts of beef. I have par-boiled ribs before smoking. I wasn't happy with the end result. Edible but, not BBQed or truly smoked. A lot of BBQ joints do so and turn out an edible product though. And, they turn a profit by saving time and reducing the costs of wood.

I know the cut of ribs he was using is generally BBQed and not smoked. Just thought I'd offer a suggestion to smoke them. Smoke them all the way through and still have them moist, tender and tasty. Dried out ribs sound terribly unappetizing. Wouldn't do that to racks of ribs.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Steam finishing? I've never heard of such. Different strokes I guess.

I do not use multiple methods when cooking meat usually. I grill ( What is called BBQ in most locations), broil, rarely bake and only steam, covered or foil wrapped, cooked in their own juices or added liquids as in "ribs and saurkraut", beef bournguignon and the like, cuts of beef. I have par-boiled ribs before smoking. I wasn't happy with the end result. Edible but, not BBQed or truly smoked. A lot of BBQ joints do so and turn out an edible product though. And, they turn a profit by saving time and reducing the costs of wood.

I know the cut of ribs he was using is generally BBQed and not smoked. Just thought I'd offer a suggestion to smoke them. Smoke them all the way through and still have them moist, tender and tasty. Dried out ribs sound terribly unappetizing. Wouldn't do that to racks of ribs.

The technique came from a competition level smoker. I questioned it myself before trying it. Finishing off at 200 degrees is hardly steaming. Try it before knocking it. It's the only way I would cook ribs now.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Not a recipe per se, but I can’t adequately recommend enough the spice rub that my buddy Tim makes.
It’s called Midyett Premium Rub and I’ve been addicted to it for years. My grilled and smoked meats always get compliments from the people I share them with.
It includes coffee and sumac among other more common spices. I think it’s best on ribs, butts, and briskets.

A quick google search will lead you to the source.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
If it's wrapped in foil it's steaming. I guess one could stretch a point and say it was stewing in its juices. I guess it's just a way to quicken the cooking. I'll try the the recipe though and see what comes out. I'm sure the flavor is great but, not a technique I'd call smoking. At the contests there's all sorts of techniques which, I think, stray from true smoking of meat cuts.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I brine my ribs in a mixture of sugar, salt, and water for about an hour or so.

Then dry rubbed and wrapped in plastic wrap overnight.

I turn the oven on to 250℉ with a large dish of water on the bottom. I cook them for a few hours, coating in sauce about every 30 minutes or so.

It's a method based loosely on a recipe from Cooks Illustrated.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I like smoking ribs using the 3-2-1 method.

"Marinate" ribs with your favorite bbq rub overnight (McCormick has some decent rubs). Smoke at 225 for 3 hours.

Wrap ribs in a foil pouch and add about 1/3 cup of apple juice and return to grill/smoker for 2 hours.

Remove ribs from foil and return to grill for 1 hour after brushing with your favorite bbq sauce.

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Like someone else mentioned most importantly pull the membrane off the back of them! I like a heavy coated candy type rub that consists of brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, allspice, black pepper, chili powder, red pepper flakes, crushed basil leaves and cinnamon. Gives a really nice bark and requires no sauce very flavorful. I normally smoke mine at around 225 to 250 for around 8-10 hours no wrapping
IMG_20210703_182622891.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: username

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
St. Louis style spare ribs & KC style spare ribs are cut & trimmed differently. The St. Louis style is quicker & easier for the butcher (time is money) in that he quickly trims the cartledge, sternum bone & rib tips instead of trimming around them to save them. The slab will end up with a more squared off appearance. Nothing is wasted in that the rib tips will become burnt ends.

In the KC style the butcher will trim around & save the rib tips attached to the rib ends. The rib tips become somewhat a delicacy.

Feather bones are rare. Higher up on the hogs back they are the flat bone that looks something like a guitar pick when cleaned off. When you can find them by the case they make excellent appetizer ribs.