PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
I recently sent my Ligne 2 in for a nozzle swap. I just received the lighter back and was confused in the orientation of the flame. I thought it would be directed toward the flicker wheel rather than the side. Is the way I received it to be expected ?

Attachments

• 4B983C21-930F-44B5-AFEE-42FCBA269EE9.jpeg
    4B983C21-930F-44B5-AFEE-42FCBA269EE9.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 13
  • 09636F61-6FB2-43A0-9429-05B5A8C50FAA.jpeg
    09636F61-6FB2-43A0-9429-05B5A8C50FAA.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 13

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I recently sent my Ligne 2 in for a nozzle swap. I just received the lighter back and was confused in the orientation of the flame. I thought it would be directed toward the flicker wheel rather than the side. Is the way I received it to be expected ?
This is what I consider to be "Left-handed Orientation". I'm not sure if the factory or anyone else even makes such a distinction. Did it come up when you ordered the nozzle? What hand do you hold the lighter in when you light your pipe?

The flame comes out the front on mine.
This sounds like what I consider to be "Right-handed Orientation".

Out over the outside corner is what I call "Ambi Orientation".

Pointing out closer towards the grinder isn't where it should be, the gas plume would move farther away from the spark shower, the closer it gets to the grinder. Also the ergonomics seem like they would be screwy. You want it pointing Lefty, or Righty, or Ambi.

isaac

Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
This is what I consider to be "Left-handed Orientation". I'm not sure if the factory or anyone else even makes such a distinction. Did it come up when you ordered the nozzle? What hand do you hold the lighter in when you light your pipe?

Pointing out closer towards the grinder isn't where it should be, the gas plume would move farther away from the spark shower, the closer it gets to the grinder. Also the ergonomics seem like they would be screwy. You want it pointing Lefty, or Righty, or Ambi.

It honestly never came up. I am right handed. It did look akward/un natural having it come out where it does in the picture. But, after a few uses, it seems ok. If i could go back, i think it would have the flame ccome out the roller side rather than current orientation.

Reactions: EA-6B

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
It honestly never came up. I am right handed. It did look akward/un natural having it come out where it does in the picture. But, after a few uses, it seems ok. If i could go back, i think it would have the flame ccome out the roller side rather than current orientation.
Yeah if you're using it in your right hand, then you'd want it shooting out over the front, or at least over the outside corner. This would help to keep the lid out of the way when lighting your pipe. How it is now puts your lid in the way, & in your line of sight when trying to light the bowl, & the lid is also aiming closest towards the shank/ stem, possibly clunking into it. If you can get used to it, then don't worry about it. The Line2 nozzles are pressed in, so I would not recommend trying to adjust it. Worst-case scenario - if you can't get used to it, send it back & have them aim it out over the front, or at least over the outside corner.
vertlines(6).JPG

Reactions: isaac

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN

How is the burner attached to the lighter? Is it screwed in? Never mind I just read your last reply.

Reactions: EA-6B

isaac

Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Yeah if you're using it in your right hand, then you'd want it shooting out over the front, or at least over the outside corner. This would help to keep the lid out of the way when lighting your pipe. How it is now puts your lid in the way, & in your line of sight when trying to light the bowl, & the lid is also aiming closest towards the shank/ stem, possibly clunking into it. If you can get used to it, then don't worry about it. The Line2 nozzles are pressed in, so I would not recommend trying to adjust it. Worst-case scenario - if you can't get used to it, send it back & have them aim it out over the front, or at least over the outside corner.
View attachment 146602

So i just spoke with the technician. He said it would not be a problem switching the nozzle angle, but also recommended against it. He stated that with it coming out as oriented on the top most arrow, it is the recommended direction per DuPont. He said that the spark from the flint also may not ignitge with it in the 6 o clock direction. I find that hard to believe, as i only see one hole, and its currently faced opposite direciton of the flint wheel.

Also, I am noticing that there is a greater amount of soot accumulating around the whole mechanism. Would this decrease with the nozzle pointed at the 6 oclock position?

I may give it a week and just keep using it and see if it is that bothersome. Also, kind of a hassle shipping all the way back to NYC.