New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Brunos a lakeland, as in a true lakeland as in rose geranium oil, dead grandma's perfume smelling stuff. Or, are we talking Irish Plug aromas, as in Condor, Velvan plug, Warrior, and Yachtsman?

I cannot imagine a demand enough in the US for a true lakeland... well... I guess Mixture 79 is still hanging on... but, is this market large enough to support something like this?

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
It has been years since I smoked St Bruno, but if I recall correctly, it is similar to Irish Flake but not as strong and with just a touch of fruit topping. I think it would find a strong following at $10.00 a pouch, but I doubt it will at $16.15. I think MacBaren is forcing that retail price on all retailers, so I doubt you will see any variation on it. I did buy a pouch, but just one, for auld times sake.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'll probably be buying some -- that's great news! 50g pouches cost upwards of 20 Euro in Ireland, so 16 bucks is a pretty good price.
The pouch, by the way, contains a sealed plastic tray of flakes, so it's not in danger of drying out like ordinary pouches.
And it's not a Lakeland at all -- it's more like Condor, but not nearly as strongly flavored. Good stuff and definitely worth trying if you like stuff like Warrior Plug, Yachtsman and similar.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
Comparatively, $16 is quite cheap for us in the UK... That's approximately £8-9, we pay £12-13 per tin! But I'm sure you guys already know the outrageous difference!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoked this stuff back in the early 2000's and cannot for the life of me remember the flavor or whether I even liked it. I am glad it is not a Lakeland as I will definitely be trying it. 16 bucks for a 50 gram pouch divided by 12.5 4 gram bowls which works out to 1.28 a bowl if my math is correct. A pack of cigs is 6-15 bucks, cigars are at least 5 for anything decent.
If you buy a 10.00 tin it is .80 a bowl, add another .42 cents and it is going to alter your lifestyle?

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
Cosmic, 10-12 bowls PER DAY?? My goodness, I rarely smoke 3 bowls per week! :rofl:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cosmic, I smoke 3-4 bowls a day right now. No way could I smoke 10-12 when my smallest pipe is a group 4.
I just took this description off the GQ site.
Ogdens - St Bruno Flake

St Bruno is a classic English Lakeland blend and probably one of the most common tobacco on sale here in the UK. It has been around for decades and still tastes as it did back in the 70's. Built on a base of Virginia's and Built on a base of Virginia's and other fire cured leafs, this tobacco is heat pressed to give it a dark appearance and a light Lakeland note is added. The smoke is deep, rich and very cool to smoke. Compared to the Ready Rubbed which burns a little hotter and faster, this Flake is much more enjoyable. It can be mixed with anything to create a unique smoking experience, a tobacco that should be tried at least once!..."
So it is a Lakeland? No wonder I don't remember it, I purged it from my memory banks because it was so foul, either that or the lakeland flavor was not noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.