PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Wow, had my first bowl of Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader. All I can say is wow I really like it, being new and basically having only smoked aromatics in the past this was a new departure for me. When I first opened it can't say I was blown away by the tin note, smelled kind of like vinegar, but filled the bowl and lit her up. The room note was very pleasant, and the taste was just great. No tongue bite, (I've rarely experienced that with anything yet). It smoked much cooler than any of my previous aromatics. I know I will be stocking up on this one. I'm sure it will take me a few more bowls to really appreciate and isolate the flavors. It's the first pipe tobacco that seemed to give me a little buzz too. I also picked up a tin of Skiff and Golden Glow, looking forward to trying them too.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Thanks, I was a little hesitant about the English blends, being a relative non smoker, never smoked cigs and rarely cigars. Smoked a pipe a little in college of course with Captain Black 20 years ago, so shied away from them. I definitely won't be a stranger to them anymore, I really think it was one of the most enjoyable bowls that I've had.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
Let it air out a little before you smoke your next bowl it will be even better. Be sure to get it in a jar too; in my experience the tin allows to much air in and it was dried to the point of being brittle in a week and a half. Great stuff though I love it.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Thanks for the heads up, don't know if this tin will last a week :D. That is a problem with the square tins, the round tins have that little bit of can screw action which seals the tin the squares not so much.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I really like Squadron Leader. In fact, I prefer it over Penzance. I am not much of an English smoker but when I do smoke an english it is usually SL.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Well I know I gonna stock up on the Squadron Leader, tomorrow I'll try the Skiff.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
SL is agood solid every day English. It's my second choice in that category after Old Dublin by Peterson.

slowpuffer

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2012
I'm going to have to consider checking out Squadron Leader, it is one I haven't tried. I've laid off the English blends a bit in favor of more Virginia based blends, but I'm thinking it might be time for some Latakia.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Squadron Leader is an English blend with Virginias in it so it might be a good choice for you.
I just went out with the dogs and enjoyed another half bowl full in my Peterson, I really love this stuff. I think I'll dream about it all night.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Squadron Leader is an English blend with Virginias in it so it might be a good choice for you.
I just went out with the dogs and enjoyed another half bowl full in my Peterson, I really love this stuff. I think I'll dream about it all night.
Nothing is more fitting then being outside with two Golden Retrievers smoking Squadron Leader in my Peterson.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
you can say that again! :lol:
I recently got a bit of Squadron Leader, and it is a very pleasant English. It's up there with Shortcut to Mushrooms, Spartan's English and Plum Pudding for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.