PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I've always found it interesting that, at least among me and my friends, the light English style is where there is the most divergence of opinion, on tobaccos that have basically the same components and in many cases the same proportions. While we have never smoked a Balkan we could not find something to like about, there are many light Englishes we curse mightily. I think it really has a lot to do with the individual blending houses style and the idiosyncrasies of everyone's palate.
I love Germain's King Charles, Lane LEO, Squadron Leader, all the Dunhills. So why do I find all of McClellands Orinetal (Green tin line) so tasteless, or why do I struggle to find the taste in Skiff? For that matter, why does my dearest friend gag at the mention of Squadron, but waxes eloquent about Skiff? It is not because either house uses inferior leaf, and I don't think there is enough difference in component proportion to be the answer.
Try a few more like LEO or King Charles or any of the myriad of other offereings. You will eventually find that "old friend" blend that you are always in the mood to smoke, the way SL is for so many.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Can't stand the stuff myself. :oops:
I tried to like it, but we are not meant to be!

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I guess the disappointment came from the fact that this is the first "highly" recommended blend that I have tried that has left me wondering what the big deal was or I thought was somewhat lacking in the flavor department.
Expectation can be a dangerous thing. My first bowl of Pelican was very disappointing. Where was the marching band, the fireworks, the "over the top" flavor ? Ten bowls later and I'm just starting to understand it. It's a very elegant blend, one that whispers rather than shouts. It doesn't lack flavors, it just presents them in an understated way that will keep you interested for the long term. I hope SL turns out the same way for you. Maybe not, but you are being wise to give it that chance. Good luck on your journey.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"Ten bowls later and I'm just starting to understand [Pelican]."
Given the very limited supply, you may regret learning to like this one. :) Unless you've already stocked up!
Bob

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Wow, I never imagined that this little topic would become such a thread, people are passionate about their SL :lol:
I think I am going to brave the cold and head out and smoke a bowl that I have been drying for 24 hours. Just to see if it really brings out any subtle little things I missed in the prior couple bowls.
That is if I can stay thawed long enough to actually focus on the tobacco...it's a boiling 13 degrees out there right now! 8O

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Well that was bowl #8 and I think I am over it haha.
It's opened up a bit but just doesn't do much for me, so looks like I will have a good amount of Squadron Leader to trade up here!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I am so glad I saw this post. I have been focusing on flakes so much recently that I have been ignoring my ribbon tobacco since October. I was outside earlier this morning doing some crap around the house and decided to fire up some SL that I bought in bulk and have had jarred up since May. I packed up my Edwards bulldog and with a strong cup of coffee ventured outside. I forgot how the orientals sing in this and how the wide bulldog allows the tobacco to come alive in the bowl. This is a great first pipe of the day tobacco and paired well with my coffee. I think it would also pair nicely with tea.
Thanks for the nudge to reach out to a forgotten friend.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Ten bowls later and I'm just starting to understand it. It's a very elegant blend, one that whispers rather than shouts. It doesn't lack flavors, it just presents them in an understated way that will keep you interested for the long term.
This is a really nice characterization of a huge number of latakia blends that get overlooked by some because they haven't got 50%+ latakia.
One man's bland is another man's subtle, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.