Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I think I started something at my local B&M. A very nice cigar store opened up near me about a year and a half ago. My son works there part time and I often drop by the store in winter for a smoke. After smoking cigars for a couple of years my son finally decided to try a pipe. I bought him a cob to try, and after a short while he decided that he likes pipe smoking. He now smokes pipes and cigars, about 50/50. One of the other guys that works there saw me and Chris smoking our pipes, and he recently bought two pipes for himself and is loving it. Now I learned that one of the shop's owners is planning to dig out his old pipes and get back into it. I sure hope it keeps spreading! The shop only carries cob and no-name briar pipes, and a limited selection of tobacco (Super Value and four flavors of CAO tinned tobacco). Maybe one day they'll cater more to pipe smokers.

Jul 15, 2011
Its always good to hear that our hobby is growing, especially when its a generational thing. I have tried to convert quite a few cig smokers to the pipe myself. I have a biker buddy who tried a pipe for the first time about 4 months ago, and he really enjoys it. And as far as your B&M only carrying Super Value and CAO tobaccos? I can't say I've ever had any Super Value, but I do love CAO tinned tobaccos. Good quality aromatics that burn very well.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
One of these days I'll have to try one of these… cigars, you call them? Like smoking pipe tobacco without the pipe? Outrageous. What will they think of next?
Simon

smokin10smitty

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2011
Indiana
A few of my friends have decided to buy pipes and other pipe smokers are coming out of the woodwork in my hometown. Pipe smoking really seems to be a very different animal. I'm happy to be a part of it.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
That's great to hear. Maybe you can start suggesting some pipes and tobaccos for the store to carry. Tell them to check out this site and use it for information gathering that will help them better cater to pipe smokers.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Pipe Novelist: I've not tried the Super Value either, and I can't say that I'm inclined to. So far Boswell's stuff keeps me satisfied, but I buy the occasional tin of CAO from the store for when I smoke there (I don't want to be a freeloader). They carry only Cherry Bomb, Eileen's Dream, Moontrance and Bella Vanilla. I've had them all, but I find Cherry Bomb to be a bit over the top for my taste (but that's probably a discussion that belongs in another forum).
Kevin: Great idea on getting the store to expand its selection of pipes and tobaccos. To be honest, I don't think the owner is sufficiently motivated to do the research on his own, so that task will probably fall to me and my son. I've already asked the other two employees to tell the owner how many pipe-related inquiries they get, in the hope that they'll see enough demand to branch out.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I was in my local B&M that is a pipe/cigar store. A couple came in and the woman picked up some kind of honey flavored cigar her guy was tripping out on all the pipe tobacco. I chatted with him a bit about it. He was taken aback at the prices on some of the high end pipes. I told him you can start with a cob or a $30 basket pipe. If you like it then you can add to your collection. He asked about the flavors and seemed very interested but overwhelmed with it. I had them smell the bulk 1Q and they both raised an eye brow and said they will be back for some of that! :)

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I started smoking a pipe many years ago and can see a definite increase in interest as I puff outside my office during the week. I've attemptd to convert several cigarette smokers in recent years and found them quite receptive. The most common reasons for not smoking a pipe I hear are that it's too complicated, there's too much "equipment" involved, it won't stay lit. I try to explain that pipe smoking is a skill to be developed over a lifetime. For those of us who understand this, no further explanation is needed.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I speak often about this wonderful site. It serves us all by crating a strong sense of community without becoming elitist in the slightest...much like pipe smokers themselves.

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
Great to hear! It would really be great to see more people walking down the street smoking a pipe like days of old. I do it often. Unfortunately, everytime I open my paper, there are more smoking bans going on. Just this morning it was front page news that the surrounding county where I reside in, is banning smoking in parks, walking trails and sports fields. I know this isn't for this thread, but that's what occurs in my area. I really hope people around here can understand the diffence between pipe smoking and cig's. I truly believe if they gave it a shot, they would love it. I have enjoyed fine cigars for years but as of late, I am enjoying my pipes much more. I'm trying to get one of my cigar smoking buddies to give it a shot. He has it in his head that it's for old men...however, I showed him the Corn Cob Pipe video posted on this site, and he's starting to ask questions and he was open to trying a corn cob!! What a wonderful world it would be to walk outside and see people enjoying their pipes throughout the streets again...keep those pipes smokin'!

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
That is great news! I would like to see more pipe smokers around here. I used to have a neighbor who smoked pipes and cigars but he passed on a few years ago. I live in a very rural area so pipe smokers are as rare as hen's teeth. Maybe if we promoted the health benefits of pipe smoking over cigarettes, we could convert a few people. I long for the old days when I began smoking back in the late 60s. Pipe smokers were a common site then and you could smoke your pipe in a lot more places.
Smokey

Status
Not open for further replies.