PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

CostalKid

Lurker
Aug 10, 2022
So, I lost the stem to my spigot pipe while on vacation. Seems like it fell out of my pocket at the beach. Is there anyone who makes replacement spigot stems or am I SOL?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If the stem was simply a military mount, that's no biggie.

If the end of the stem was capped with sterling silver, that is a biggie.

CostalKid

Lurker
Aug 10, 2022
If the stem was simply a military mount, that's no biggie.

If the end of the stem was capped with sterling silver, that is a biggie.
Thanks George. I guess it's a biggie. How big of a biggie?
If its a spigot, you need to go back with a metal detector!
I had that thought too. This isn't an easily accessible place and there wasn't a rental place nearby. Unfortunately the cost to resume the search doesn't make sense.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013

Metal spinning is very much its own "thing", and not practiced by any repairmen that I know of.

Adam Davidson figured out how to do it in order to make some early Dunhill Prince-inspired pipes, but that was years ago and he hasn't messed with it since.

There were two main guys in England who did it, but one of them retired 2-3 years ago and the other does only new production, not repairs.

Ditto the guy in Ireland who spins for Peterson.

So, pretty big. :(

Wish I had better news.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay

I had that thought too. This isn't an easily accessible place and there wasn't a rental place nearby. Unfortunately the cost to resume the search doesn't make sense.
Amazon has them. May just turn into a fun hobby as well as recovering a hard to replace stem. May well be worth it as well as paying for itself with the treasures you may find.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

CostalKid

Lurker
Aug 10, 2022
Metal spinning is very much its own "thing", and not practiced by any repairmen that I know of.

Adam Davidson figured out how to do it in order to make some early Dunhill Prince-inspired pipes, but that was years ago and he hasn't messed with it since.

There were two main guys in England who did it, but one of them retired 2-3 years ago and the other does only new production, not repairs.

Ditto the guy in Ireland who spins for Peterson.

So, pretty big. :(

Wish I had better news.
Thanks for the info. I was afraid of as much.

If my memory is correct (it often is not, these days ☹️) Cosmic did show a spigot that he had made for one of his pipes a while ago
I've made 15 spigots to date, and I have repaired 6 spigot stems. Do a search for "Cosmic spigot" on this forum. I "can" make the replacement stem; however, you might not like the price. I am not a craftsman specialized in just pipes; however, I am contracted with several pipemakers.

My suggestion is, that "if" getting this pipe back functional has limits to your budget, you might want to consider just having one of the best pipe repairmen make a military style stem replacement for you. I think there is an awesome pipe repair guy in North Georgia. Someone on here, may have the contact info for you.

Reactions: OzPiper and jpmcwjr

CostalKid

Lurker
Aug 10, 2022
I've made 15 spigots to date, and I have repaired 6 spigot stems. Do a search for "Cosmic spigot" on this forum. I "can" make the replacement stem; however, you might not like the price. I am not a craftsman specialized in just pipes; however, I am contracted with several pipemakers.

My suggestion is, that "if" getting this pipe back functional has limits to your budget, you might want to consider just having one of the best pipe repairmen make a military style stem replacement for you. I think there is an awesome pipe repair guy in North Georgia. Someone on here, may have the contact info for you.
Thanks Cosmic. Man, the spigots that you've made are very nice. I especially like the "champagne spigot". Amazing craftsmanship! Thanks for your insight.