PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Since our Spring weather here in SW PA has been anything but Spring like, I've been spending a good deal of my smoking time in my basement. With what seems like perpetual precipitation, the dampness has been horrible and our de-humidifier has been running almost round the clock. The discharge vent is located on top of the device and as I was knocking the ash out of one of my favorite briars one night I thought, hmm, I'll bet this would dry out nicely overnight if I just layed the open end of the bowl on that vent. Well, I've been doing this with 3 or 4 of my pipes over the last few weeks and I have to tell you, it works pretty good. I wait till the pipe is cool, dump the ash, pull it apart and go to it with a cleaner or 2, reassemble and place it on top of the discharge air vent and the pipe is ready for duty the next day. Has anyone ever tried such a thing and what were your findings?

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Never tried that but i have shot air through my pipe with an air compressor

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I do pull them apart and keep them clean. Sometimes OCD clean. I usually take an evening once a month and do the spirits scrub and polish but between smokes I clean the stem, tenon and draft hole good and also bend a bristled cleaner and twist into the bowl, it helps reduce excessive cake build up or at least reduces the amount of times per year I have to ream.
Just to be clear and especially for newer smokers, my OP is in no way an attempt to diminish the importance of properly resting our pipes. Some pipes recover quicker than others in my experience and for the exception of one hand made Radice, I've only done this with a couple good smoking estates. One in particular has a saddle bit that is just sooo comfortable in my mouth that I can't get enough of it, not to mention it likes my EMP first thing in the am. This is just one of those tinkering discoveries that I thought was worth posting to see who else may be doing it.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Mike, I've had few issues with loose stems over time but know that when I do disassemble it's only with a cooled pipe and I slowly twist the stem out. I have owned only one pipe that had a chronic problem with a loose stem and it was a JM Boswell Oom Paul. I'd wax it with beeswax and it would hold tight for a few smokes and then loosen up some. I ended up watching that bowl hit the concrete shop floor one day while moving from one machine to another and that was that, no more stem issues. Nowadays, I tend to stick with traditional, mostly straight pipes.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
This sounds like a must try idea.Of course taking into consideration of those statements above.I will give it a go.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
hey im in sw pa too, and i can agree its been very rainy. Kinda hard to work outside to get rid of bug issues but otherwise i dont mind the rain because i sleep through it. SO long as the air isnt to hot id say its a fine way to make sure your pipe is dry.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah, the discharge air hangs around 78 degrees. I stuck a thermometer in the fins one night just to answer that question.
Here's what I'm observing after an over night rest on the fan and having smoked one, maybe 2 bowls in a given pipe. The heel and draft hole area dry out nicely and lighten in color to match the bowl walls. I've been limiting myself to smoking Dunhills EMP in these test pipes since it's a mixture I'm completely familiar with and I would immedietly recognize a problem if the pipes were to exhibit fatigue or deliver any sourness or bitterness. Two of my most enjoyable flavor blasts with EMP is at mid-bowl and at the very end and it's at the latter part of the smoke where I'd expect trouble from an improperly tested briar. So far, this has not been the case.
I know everyone doesn't have a $350 dehumidifier laying about the house and I'm not suggesting this is some type of revolutionary cure all to not having a 7 day rotation set. Just trying to think outside the box a little and learn a little something in the process. Cheers!

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I already have a hard enough time choosing which pipe to smoke omitting yesterday's smokes. And you want me to add those in also?

Status
Not open for further replies.