PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
UPDATE:
The tins arrived and I've had a few bowls now.
I posted the first review at TR: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9424/spectre-spectre
When the Spectre cigars were released last year, I was an instant fan. Upon hearing that a matching pipe tobacco had been made, there was no hesitation grabbing a few tins ... especially since Russ Ouellette was involved.
The cut is a somewhat shaggy ribbon that packs easily. Also, the moisture level was perfect to smoke it straight from the tin. I usually have to dry my tobacco to this state.
At first light, the Orientals are out in front with lemon-butter and spice but are quickly supported by a rich, bready Virginia. The Latakia is present in condiment form, just as in the cigar. The cigar leaf adds some chewy mouth feel and creaminess to the smoke.
Around half-way through the smoke, the components really have melded together. The musty / earthy side of the Orientals comes out a bit more as does the Virginia. This is a pretty complex blend.
Finishing up the bowl, things got a bit harsh but not too bad. I was probably pushing too hard at that point. This blend really likes to be "sipped" from start to finish.
Overall, this is a nice addition to the cigar leaf blends. It's complex and prefers a nice big bowl. I'm happy to have added it to the cellar.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Looks like JimInks was right behind me with his review as well:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9424/hearth-home-spectre

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Got my first taste of the Spectre cigar today from P&C. It's the first cigar I've tried in a LOOOONG time, and it gave a pretty good nic hit, like the bowl of Billy Budd I had this morning. They sent me five Gordos, and that's the largest smoke I EVER tried. I almost blushed when I first tried it, and I was home alone! 8O 8O
Godfrey Daniels......

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I was interested so I picked up a box of cigars to try first before getting a tin or two or three. Who am I kidding?

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I was interested so I picked up a box of cigars to try first before getting a tin or two or three. Who am I kidding?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
No nubbin' here, if I get your meaning. It'll take most of a day for me to smoke a log like that Gordo because of the N, but yeah I thought the flavor was similar to Billy Budd and that was my first bowl this morning. 8)

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
What does he know ... all he can taste anymore is ODF! :nana:
Seriously though ... it's a good smoke if treated with respect.
It certainly does NOT like to be pushed hard at all.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
Darin I have yet to try the cigar or the tin you gifted me. I do have both in my order on P&C and depending on how I like them I might order more as soon as I can afford another order.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
What vitola did you order?
I like the Robusto (5x50) and would try the Toro (6x52) but the Gordo (6x60) is too fat for me.
Darin I have yet to try the cigar or the tin you gifted me.
What ... are you busy or something? :mrgreen:
Just make sure to keep the sticks humidified until your ready!

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
[I like the Robusto (5x50) and would try the Toro (6x52) but the Gordo (6x60) is too fat for me.]
I agree thwth that I think the gordo would be too much for me I liked the small one I smoked it in about 3o minutes and enjoyed very second of it.
[Darin I have yet to try the cigar or the tin you gifted me.]

[What ... are you busy or something? :mrgreen:]
[Just make sure to keep the sticks humidified until your ready!]
no the tin it dust sitting for now because I have to many tins opened and want to burn through at least 2 before I open more I smoked the 2 muwats ( I loved them), and plan on smoking the spectre tomorrow

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I smoked the 2 muwats ( I loved them), and plan on smoking the spectre tomorrow
Those MUWAT Kentucky Fire Cured sticks are pretty tasty ... glad you liked them!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Thanks Darin-

I'm going to get some of the Robustos. I agree on the Gordos. I tend to prefer cigars in the 46-52 range. I've had a few of the MUWATS KFCs as well- Good stuff!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I tend to prefer cigars in the 46-52 range.
Same here ... a higher wrapper/filler ratio is almost always better, IMO.
I've had a few of the MUWATS KFCs as well- Good stuff!
I grabbed a few 5-packs of the "Chunky" (4 x 46) ... did you get the same size?

The "Kyotos" (5.5 x 34) are next on my list.
Oh ... speaking of KFC ... I just ordered a brick of Kentucky Cheroots!
article-2422952-1BDFE6DA000005DC-336_634x411.jpg

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I grabbed a few 5-packs of the "Chunky" (4 x 46) ... did you get the same size?
Yes, I smoked 2 of them while on a recent vacation. I bought them at a cigar bar, needed a somewhat short smoke and was really impressed..... went back the next day and had another!!

Those Kyotos sound pretty good too.

I just ordered a box of the Jericho Hills "shots" (4 X 42)-- I've had the LBV, hoping these are as good.

Recently I find myself reaching for these smaller cigars due to time constraints. Sometimes don't have the free time for a 2 hour smoke and these fit the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.